Anyone still using OneNote?

Tom Shannon

Registered
I've been sort of collecting suggestions and tips on using this program. I've been using it for a little while now and I'm really starting to like it. We had quite an extended discussion about OneNote about a month or two ago. Is there anyone out there still using or testing it? I'd like to compare some notes, particularly regarding the use of flags.

For instance, I've always had this problem with computer reference files. I like to keep all of the related material for a particular project in a reference file tucked away as a subdirectory somewhere. But I also like to have the data from active projects handy for easy accessibility. For this reason, I usually ended up with 2 sets of files, one set for the dozen or so active projects and one for all the archived material that I don't access so often. But this always made me uncomfortable and it sometimes led to related materials ending up in more than one set of files.

I'm finding the use of OneNote to be particularly interesting in this regard. OneNote provides you with 25 customizable flags that can be put next to entries. You can then generate what's known as a "Note Flags Summary" which collects links to all of the entries with a particular label. I've set one up with the label "Project" meaning a currently active project. By taking a reference file in OneNote and putting a "Project" label on the title, I can easily collect links to all of the current project pages without removing them from the reference file with all of the other archived projects and data.

It occurs to me that these note flags could be very handy. Effectively, they've given you 25 active customizable categories to play with. Effectively its more than that because when you change a flag, it remebers the old ones and they still appear in the Note Flag Summary. Anybody have any thoughts?

The more I use this program, the more comfortable I get with it. Its actually a very flexible collection and storage device. I wish it was more Palm compatible. As it is, I have to export pages and import them as memos when I want to bring information with me. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have spent the money for a PPC.

Tom S.

Elena

Registered
Re: Anyone still using OneNote?

Tom Shannon said:
I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have spent the money for a PPC.

Tom S.

Actually I don't think there's any interface between OneNote and the PPCs.
I haven't looked at the microsoft site for awhile, but last I heard it was "under consideration" but sounded doubtful as they have their hands full with the Tablet PC.

tfadams

Registered
Check out www.tabletpcbuzz.com .There are a lot of OneNote users that frequent the forums there, and some are utilizing the GTD principals as well.

I have been using OneNote for a while, but I haven't moved everything into it. I do use the Note Flags, and have a tab per Project. The Summary is great because it gives you a list of all your actions by context, and if you check one of them off as done, the list updates automatically.

The newest version of OneNote will import PPC Notes, but not export and you do need Outlook 2003 for Task and Calendar integration.

Tom Shannon

Registered
tfadams said:
Check out www.tabletpcbuzz.com .There are a lot of OneNote users that frequent the forums there, and some are utilizing the GTD principals as well.

I have been using OneNote for a while, but I haven't moved everything into it. I do use the Note Flags, and have a tab per Project. The Summary is great because it gives you a list of all your actions by context, and if you check one of them off as done, the list updates automatically.

The newest version of OneNote will import PPC Notes, but not export and you do need Outlook 2003 for Task and Calendar integration.

Thanks for the link.

Yes, I really doubt I'll move everything to it. I could, I suppose, but Outlook has quite a bit more power in terms of organizing daily activities. It also syncs with my Palm (through KeySuite). I can't see trying to keep track of everything in 2 places. As it is, project lists are kept in OneNotes and actions are added from there as todo's in Outlook as needed.

There's a lot of flexibility here. I'm sure I'm under utilizing it. I don't really need to organize by context if I'm going to work from Outlook anyway. But I do find it easier to keep notes, records, etc... by project. I figure eventually the integration with Outlook will be seamless and I'll be able to work completely from OneNote. For instance, as it is right now, I have to mark todo's complete in both places seperately. I'm sure eventually marking one done in Outllok will mark it done in OneNote automatically and vice versa.

Tom S.

Tom Shannon

Registered
Re: Anyone still using OneNote?

Elena said:
Tom Shannon said:
I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have spent the money for a PPC.

Tom S.

Actually I don't think there's any interface between OneNote and the PPCs.
I haven't looked at the microsoft site for awhile, but last I heard it was "under consideration" but sounded doubtful as they have their hands full with the Tablet PC.

Yeah, I know that they are working hard on a PPC version, though. Apparently when thy beta'ed the first release it was one of the most common suggestions. In this case, "under consideration" apparently means "we're working on it but just in case priorities change, we aren't commiting to it". :)

I think MS wants it because it will help sell both more PPC's and more OneNote licenses at the same time so its double the profit.

Tom S.

M

mochant

OneNote SP1 does import from PPC

OneNote SP1 has a limited copy function and will import notes from the Pocket PC. It's a one-way street - no sync back to the PPC though.

It also works with Windows Smartphones.

TesTeq

Registered
Wrong direction one-way street.

OneNote SP1 has a limited copy function and will import notes from the Pocket PC. It's a one-way street - no sync back to the PPC though.
If it is so then this one-way street is in wrong direction :lol: . Most people input their data using desktop PC or notebook and then move it to the PDA.
TesTeq

M

mochant

Of course you're right...

TesTeq:

MS doesn't "get this". They assume you'll use Pocket Word for PC -> PPC notes.

--Marc

Tom Shannon

Registered
Re: One Note

georgemixon said:
Tom,

I use OneNote everyday but not in any context of GTD. I am a Proposal Manager and we keep notes in OneNote for each proposal that we are working on, and pass and share the information with everyone on the Team. So far, we like it very much. We will migrate to Outlook 2003 soon, which will greatly enhance OneNote's capabilities.

Yes, this sounds like a case where the use of OneNote's stationary could be useful to keep the reports in a consistent format with all of the needed information. Word can do the same thing with a template, of course. In fact, as far as I can tell nearly every thing that ON does can be done with Word it just isn't as convenient.

As regards GTD I have stationary set up for phone conversations, and I use the standard informal meeting stationary for appointments. I've also set up a projects coverpage which summarizes contacts, appointments, tasks, documents and bookmarks for the current project. It's pretty handy. Of course, as regards GTD, the task list is the most important.

Tom S.

Eric Mack

GTD Connect
OneNote for action management vs action support

I too, have been following the discussions in this forum re: OneNote.

I've not yet determined where OneNote will fit into my mix of tools. It looks like a great product for capture, organization, and retrieval. From a management perspective - that of managing my multitude of projects and actions - I'm still trying to see how it might work.

Currently, for action management and even storage of my action support materials, Lotus Notes still remains my tool of choice for a variety of reasons; however, there are aspects of MindManager/Result Manager and OneNote that are compelling.

Normally, I would not advocate that folks work with so many different programs. In my case, I force myself to do it so that I can offer advice from experience.

I'm still at the early stages, so my opinions are sure to change.

I've posted a few of my current observations on my blog.

I plan to teach an all-girls Jr. robotics team how to use OneNote. For them, I think that OneNote may be a great way to help them organize their projects and actions as well as keep their support materials all in one place.

M

mochant

Use OneNote for what it's best at

OneNote is an information manager but it's not a Personal Information Manager (PIM) like Palm desktop, Outlook, or even Eric's favorite - Notes.

While I think you could bend OneNote to the task of managing your GTD workflow, it seems like a perfect instance of using the wrong tool for the job. While I'm really pleased with the new level of integration SP1 offer with Outlook 2003, OneNote is still an auxilliary application IMO.

It is an ideal information gathering, organizing, and retreival application and is a wonderful tool for your reference and support materials.

A

Anonymous

I've been using Onenote for 2 months now. I use it for collecting, and organizing. I have sections for every client, and a page, or some pages, for every project. I extensively use flags, as contexts. IMHO one of the areas that still need to improve, besides ppc synchronization, is the flags summary page - I'd like to have lots of customization possibilities there. Along with the Outlook Calendar it is my only management tool (I do not use the Outlook's tasks)