Anyone use the omnifocus and mail for processing emails into next actions

macgrl

Registered
Hello all,

I use omnifocus but don't really make use of all the features, because to be honest they are a bit too complicated for me. However, I would like to make use of the system that allows you to email in actions to your omnifocus inbox. Having never used it I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are on it. Is it any good? any flaws etc?

I believe that it operated via mail on the mac? Does this mean that you have to have your mac on at all times etc. Or would it show up in omnifocus on my iPhone if my mac wasn't on? I would like to know the limits of it before commiting to it:D

Many thanks

macgrl

Oogiem

Registered
I use it a lot

macgrl;97097 said:
Is it any good? any flaws etc?

I believe that it operated via mail on the mac? Does this mean that you have to have your mac on at all times etc. Or would it show up in omnifocus on my iPhone if my mac wasn't on?

I use it all the time. My mail is all on POP servers and I do not do e-mail on my iPhone so I don't know how the connection works with IMAP servers or with the iPhone look at POP mail. I pull all my mail down to my own machine for processing.

What I do is I installed the mail clip-o-tron and then I can either send an entire message or pieces of a message to my Omnifocus inbox with a simple set of keystrokes. Typically my e-mails have multiple actions in a single e-mail so I will highlight each action, clip to OF, then do the next and so on. Occasionally I clip an entire message, esp. when it contains support or reference material.

Once clipped, I process them in OF adding them to the proper projects and editing the actual item to be described better.

Because I use my iPhone only as a do and check off and reference tool not usually a capture tool I don't know how it works with the iPhone at all.

macgrl

Registered
Thank you very much for your reply oogiem.

"with a simple set of keystrokes" - have you set up shortcuts for clippings to do this?

May I ask what you use?

:D

Edited to say I don't suppose you know how I can take clippings from a webpage via firefox...I can see how to do it for safari but I use firefox

Oogiem

Registered
macgrl;97102 said:
"with a simple set of keystrokes" - have you set up shortcuts for clippings to do this? ... Edited to say I don't suppose you know how I can take clippings from a webpage via firefox...I can see how to do it for safari but I use firefox

I use the standard one shift command option . all held down at once. (4 keys, don't forget the period)

There isn't a clipping handler for Firefox because Firefox doesn't supply the necessary hook in Applescript to get the selected text. All you can do is use the bookmarklet that you can find on the Omni site to grab the URL and title of the page you are looking at and send it to OmniFocus.

One person was successful doing this:
I have worked around this issue now by installing the Safari View Firefox add-on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4641
Which allows me to view the current Firefox page in Safari. Great for creating my OmniFocus tasks, also handy if I feel the need to use Safari's web clippings feature to make a Widget.

Too bad Firefox doesn't support the Apple Services menu.

FWIW similar problems trying to clip from Firefox to DEVONThink