• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Area of focus or a project?

I co-own a business and while my area of focus is sales and another owner is looking after finance I would like to help him for example with credit lines. I have a few friends who can help us with that. I need recommendation if I should make my help an area of focus or just one time project?
 
The rule of thumb that I use is: projects end. Someday you'll be able to say, "Yep, done with that." Generally (but not always) Areas of Focus are not like that. You're not going to say "Yep, done with being healthy now."

Cheers,
Roger
 
Roger;100048 said:
The rule of thumb that I use is: projects end. Someday you'll be able to say, "Yep, done with that." Generally (but not always) Areas of Focus are not like that. You're not going to say "Yep, done with being healthy now."

Cheers,
Roger

Agreed - 'Set up credit line for XXX' definitely sounds like a project, whilst 'Sales' is a more amophous area that could contain multiple projects (ie Attend conference, Launch Product, Deliver Email Campaign) - so that would be an area of focus. Well, that's how I do it anyway!!!

HTH

Nick
 
Agree - you might have Finance as a separate AOF, or you might have something more general like "Other business functions" for anything in the business that you don't have primary responsibility for, but want to make sure you regularly touch-in on as you do weekly reviews etc.
 
Top