Asana for GTD - best practices

user_name

Registered
Hi all

First up, just wanted to say thank you for all the great advice in this forum - it is much appreciated.
I've been using GTD for a couple of years and it's been great. My tool of choice is Facile Things - not perfect, of course, but works brilliantly for me.
But here's the problem: in my new job, EVERYTHING goes through Asana. I've been trying to maintain both FT and Asana side by side for the past month and it's been a nightmare.
So I'm considering going 'all in' on the Asana basic plan and migrating over.
I've got the GTD set-up guide, which has been really helpful - but I'm really interested to know what pitfalls to avoid and for people to share best practices.

Some initial questions I have are:
  1. Do you run it with the context lists (@office, @home) or do you find a more 'traditional' project works better (Renovate bathroom) Note I’m integrating this with work boards so will most likely have to use tags for contexts rather than lists.
  2. What's the best way to add info like time (15,30 mins, 1hr, 2hr) and energy (high, low) as well as priority?
  3. Is there any way to automate it so that next actions automatically get added to the 'to do' list or do you have to do this manually?
  4. How do you work with horizons? FT is great because it allows me to assign areas of focus (health) with goals (run a 10k) as well as the other horizons.
  5. How do you stop Asana showing you EVERYTHING? I want to see just my next actions rather than every single sub task in every single project as it's just too much and impossible to see what to do next.
If there's anything else, I've missed please do let me know. I do appreciate that it's not a great idea to spend a ton of time on set up, however as this is essentially a forced migration I would really like to build it with solid foundations.

Apologies if this has been covered before - please do share that thread below.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sarahsuccess

Registered
Do you run it with the context lists (@office, @home) or do you find a more 'traditional' project works better
I think creating and using Asana's sections as contexts could work well. In Asana you can have the option to view your tasks sorted by context as well as sorted by project.

How do you stop Asana showing you EVERYTHING? I want to see just my next actions rather than every single sub task in every single project
I would create an Asana project called "My Next Actions". I would multihome my next actions there. That means I would assign the tasks I want as my next actions to the My Next Actions project. I would have Asana sections there as contexts (@computer, @waiting for etc)

Let me know what you think.

Have you worked out a way to use Asana for GTD? If you did, can you please share it?

Sarah

Last edited: