Ask David any question

Jamie Elis

Registered
Evaluating the learning/implentation of the method

It seems from reading the forum that some people understand and implement the system readily while others struggle with it. Do you and your colleagues have data (or ideas) about what the common difficulties are in learning and implementing GTD? What approaches would seem most useful to determine what kinds of difficulties people have in learning and implementing the system? How can the most common problems be prevented or corrected? Is anybody evaluating the efficacy of different approaches to the teaching and coaching?

TesTeq

Registered
Two separate GTD systems - one for work and one for home?

David,

What do you think about maintaining two separate GTD systems - one for work activities and one for home/personal activities? Such setup makes it possible to separate work stuff from home/personal stuff - I think many people need such separation.

Best regards,

TesTeq

mramm

Registered
I think that he covered that in the book and said that there should NOT be two separate systems. I don't remember what page it was on but it was in Chaper 1. Allen makes no distinctions between work and personal lives.

Michael

Max

Registered
Can you explain what is really meant by "no distinctions between work and personal lives"?

To me there are huge distinctions between the two, and I have a complete other set of projects for my role as a scout leader that needs an system as well.

I think it may be taken out of context, and truly mean just that you have one system for all your roles (or Areas of Focus).

J

JDC

I have two questions:

You’ve made the analogy between GTD and martial arts (white belt, brown belt, etc.). When you spend a weekend coaching someone on collecting and processing, where are they on that scale when you finish the weekend?

How long does it take without a coach? If someone buys the book and tries to follow it on their own, how long does the collecting and processing typically take?