• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Avoiding distractions with Outlook 2003

Here's one for the "duh!" category:

I live in Outlook. I always have a problem staying focused on what I'm working on, and avoiding new email. For example, when a new message comes in, I tend to stop what I'm doing, read the email, then decide how to process the email, then I have to get back in the groove of what I was working on previously.

Well, Outlook 2003 has a cool new feature where you can easily transition from working offline or online without having to restart Outlook. So, what this means is that I can get into Outlook first thing in the morning, process new messages and arrange my tasks for the day, then switch to offline mode and get to work. This way I'm not interrupted by new emails. I'll switch back to online mode before and after lunch to process whatever may have come in, then go back offline for the remainder of the afternoon until about 4PM and do my afternoon wrap-up.

It may seem relatively minor, but it's amazing how much more focused I am on the task at hand when I'm not bothered my new email.

Jason
 
Top