Backlog Webinar(s)

aaronj

Registered
I just noticed the backlog webinar coming up. That's great! I was going to request it and voila there it is. My only additional request would be that you make this a multi-part webinar series. I feel like backlog is my biggest, baddest area, and it basically just sucks my soul dry when I even think about it. And while I realize the basic GTD principles are the same, the backlog just seems so daunting.

I'd appreciate even one additional webinar that had a lot of recounting of positive success stories of clearing backlog, as sometimes the inspirational stories get me over the tipping point from anxiety about backlog to doing something about backlog. Sometimes, it's just hard to visualize the success, but if others have done it, it boosts my confidence that I can do it.

Sometimes, when I'm trying to psych myself up into the GTD 'frame of mind,' I listen to various GTD recordings to keep myself focused and engaged. I'd really like to have more hours of backlog webinars to listen to while I'm clearing my own backlog.

Thanks so much!

Aaron

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Thanks aaronj for your suggestions.

The key to your backlog will really be the sweat equity you put into it yourself. We'll do our best to give you some guidelines, but I think you'll find no one knows and can direct you on your stuff like you can just picking a pile and working through it.

dragko

Registered
In my experience being a serial procrastinator backlog often can be redefined as "Stuff I could have already done but didn't" the funny thing is there might only be a handful of "tasks" in your backlog that are holding the whole thing up.

I believe the way you need to look at backlog is what (even if I don't want to do it) will provide the most personal payoff.

You may find that oldest job is the one that is holding up the flow of the entire river like a dam once you break that task out.... boom your perspective changes and your efficiency improves and the flow happens more freely and therefore your task list naturally shrinks. But in the end it takes maintaining that flow. And only you can do that! ;)

If it is an issue of to much work coming in and you are going as fast as you possibly can there may be a need to reassess the bigger picture and speak with your seniors. :)