Basic question about Evernote

curtis

Registered
I am considering installing Evernote to do GTD,but have no experience to date with productivity technology so I feel a little silly asking this but here goes........... Would Evernote copy my Outlook emails into a program that uses GTD language and programming designed to collect, process and organize?

vutpakdi

Registered
I don't think that I really understand your question.

Evernote does come with an Outlook plugin which adds a button that makes it easy to copy emails into Evernote.

However, it sounds like you are asking if Evernote will automatically organize and process that email. While the Clearly Chrome plugin makes a stab at organizing web clips, I don't know if the Outlook one does. And, it's still probably best to process the email manually since it'll get you thinking about the email and any resulting action items or projects.

Ron

mcogilvie

Registered
To expand on the above good and true answer a little, Evernote is good at organizing snippets and chunks of data: text, pictures, pdf's, et cetera. There are lots of ways to get stuff into Evernote. It provides tools for organizing, but the overall structure is up to you. The David Allen Co. has guides to setting up Evernote that would probably help you out. Years ago, I learned a lot from the Outlook setup guide (the only such guide then), and I never used Outlook.

curtis

Registered

mcogilvie

I think i will take your advice and buy a setup guide. I noticed that 2 sizes are offered; letter and a4. Do you know what an A4 size is?

curtis

Registered
Basic question about evernote

I may have just skimmed over the description in the set up guide for Evernote and GTD, but I didn't see a recommendation for a notebook for handling reference.

For those of you who use Evernote, do you keep reference material in the collection box or do you set up a Reference notebook?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
curtis;108927 said:
I may have just skimmed over the description in the set up guide for Evernote and GTD, but I didn't see a recommendation for a notebook for handling reference.

For those of you who use Evernote, do you keep reference material in the collection box or do you set up a Reference notebook?

We do talk about handling Reference quite a bit in the Evernote Setup Guides (https://secure.davidco.com/store/catalog/Setup-Guides-p-1-c-263.php) and in our Evernote webinar coming up: http://www.davidco.com/seminars/detail.php?id=16954&catID=2

vutpakdi

Registered
I keep many reference notebooks in EverNote organized by topic (Computer, Home, Life Tips, Health, etc).

If the material is relatively short and related to a short term project, I'll just put the reference material into the note for that project.

For larger projects with many references, I'll put the notes into a separate notebook for the project.

For other work related references, I tend to use the tagging feature and then put the notes into a couple of general work notebooks.

Ron

curtis

Registered

Thanks Ron for the good examples. I will use it to set up the reference folders. :)