Black Belt Series now posted

jasonswank

Registered
Just wanted to say how great Part 1 was. I haven't been able to listen to the other two yet, but that's what my 20 minute commute is for. I don't know about everyone else, but getting down to the minutiae about what folders live in your "Action Support" tray on your desk was just the kind of fine tuning I needed. Again--can't wait for Part 2 and thank you both for the series.

smartin

Registered
Part 3 was especially awesome!

I missed the last one live but have now listed to the podcast twice. I am pretty much there on Parts 1 and 2 but have a long way to go on Part 3 (doing and reviewing). One of the many things that struck me in Part 3:

Meg's quote about the next actions list (in terms of what should be on it): "When you are going to do work, these are the options that you want to see". So my takeaway was to really look at my list from that perspective and, if I don't want to see some of them, why not and what am I going to do about that? Move it to someday/maybe, break it down more, do more planning, whatever seems most appropriate.

jmsmall

Registered
Black Belt webinars, the basics

Enjoyed all three. Made some very satisfying changes: harder edges in action and project support, more dedication to making files work, more dedication to lists. Then out came natural planning webinar, and I realized that the three Black Belt seminars were really only about workflow. In my (personal) martial arts parlance, they would be around Green Belt or so.

Black Belt martial artists practice the basics every session. Kicks and punches get better and better. But they add new things too.

So I wonder what would be on the road to GTD black belt?

Basics, definitely. White to green belt, but continued refinement in technique forever.
Horizons of focus. Green to black, I think. Part of the twinkle in the eye is having that higher focus.
Natural planning would be good; it is a higher belt skill with some white belt basics.
Meeting planning? Most of us have meetings.
Working with others? (sort of like martial arts sparring?)
Other routines that help people? (like martial arts forms/katas?) What are some daily rituals, meeting rituals, etc that are useful? Checklists? Physical organizing?

Keep up the good work guys.
jmsmall

Oogiem

Registered
Just finished listening to Number 2

I know, a bit late, but the thing that struck me was in the collect phase to evaluate a room and look at everything and see if it's Reference, Equipment, Decoration or Supplies. Those 4 things plus the start at 12:00 and go around the room clockwise have helped me do a much more complete collect of the major decluttering/clean-up we are doing in our house.

BruceWebber

Registered
Question about Incubation

I've been listening to these as audio podcasts when I drive, and I just finished part two. Great series!

I understand that a major component of processing is thinking about each item that has been collected, and deciding what it means. If action is required, what is the desired outcome and what is the next physical step, etc.

In the context of processing Meg mentioned "incubation". Does this mean postponing the decision about what to do with the item? If so, how would the item be tracked in the system? If it means something else, what does it mean? :)

Thanks,
Bruce

Barb

Registered
Choices

To incubate something you could put it on the "someday/maybe" list or maybe into your tickler file so it pops up later.