• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Calender versus action list

Okay so I've read the book and listened to the audiotape and I'm ready to get a GTD lifestyle but have a couple of questions

1. Do I place all action steps requiring less than 2 minutes on some sort of action list? If so, doesn't this also interfere with action items that I out on the calendar? I thought the whole purpose of GTD was to create separate and distinct catagories to organize your life. Duplication of items in mire than 1 location would serve to create extra work, foster the habit of not consistently documenting in both locations and a failed system.

If I don't place action steps in both lists, then how do I organize my activities in a manner that I know they get done???
 
Was it really David Allen's book?

seekingserenity;82042 said:
Okay so I've read the book and listened to the audiotape and I'm ready to get a GTD lifestyle but have a couple of questions

1. Do I place all action steps requiring less than 2 minutes on some sort of action list? If so, doesn't this also interfere with action items that I out on the calendar? I thought the whole purpose of GTD was to create separate and distinct catagories to organize your life. Duplication of items in mire than 1 location would serve to create extra work, foster the habit of not consistently documenting in both locations and a failed system.

If I don't place action steps in both lists, then how do I organize my activities in a manner that I know they get done???

Did you read the GTD book? Was it really David Allen's book? I can't find any David Allen's recommendation to duplicate items!
 
seekingserenity;82042 said:
purpose of GTD was to create separate and distinct catagories to organize your life. Duplication of items in mire than 1 location would serve to create extra work, foster the habit of not consistently documenting in both locations and a failed system

Im not completely understanding you I dont think. Generally speaking, in the middle of the day you just do the 2 minute items, you dont write them down as the point is its quicker to do than write down. So suppose your checking emails and 5 of them are two minute or less responses, dont record them just do it. That way it wouldn't interfere with any day specific actions.
 
Top