• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Camera Smart Phone - Archiving Receipts for Expenses

Hello all,

First post here. Just wanted to share with you folks a new way I implemented an expense manager on my Blackberry 9700, as I was tired of having a ton of receipts at the end of the week and having to key them all into Quicken.

First of all, I downloaded Money for Blackberry version 1.6.06.8 by ChanguitoSoft. From this program I can monitor spending on multiple accounts, including credit card, expenses, checking, etc. It is like a mini-version of Quicken. From there I setup an expense account.

I instantly register an expense when the receipt is handed to me. Then I use my camera. I take the receipt and lay it on a table, take a picture of it, rename it and save it in a folder marked XX-EXP, where XX is the month, year, whatever.

Total time to register and take picture of receipt is about 60 seconds.

At the end of the month when I need to submit my expenses I email an exported version to myself from my phone (exports into QIF1, QIF2, and text), then I import it into Quicken where I can print out the archive and submit for reimbursement.

I made it so that the BB, when plugged into my PC, acts as a secondary disk drive. I plug in my BB and then drag the file of XX-EXP to my hard drive where I can archive the receipts, email them, or do whatever.

Exporting, Importing, and dragging a copy of receipts takes less than 3 mins.

This saves on space (as I am no longer stapling receipts together) and saves about 20-30 mins during my weekly review, not having to gather receipts, enter them one by one and figure out what happened (category, etc.). Also, now I know that nothing has slipped through the cracks, in other words, if I dropped a receipt or something, I may not get reimbursed unless I check that against my credit card statement.

The other nice thing about this is, I can email a copy of the receipt instantly from my BB when I am on the road, as I no longer take a computer with me, so if CPA or accounting needs a copy there it is.

When I typed this out, it seems like it is very cumbersome and difficult but once you get it, it is very easy and saves me a ton of time.

When I come across anything else that might be useful, I will let you folks know.

Good luck.
 
Top