Capture: is anyone here using a smartpen and what are your experiences with it

@Newbie

Registered
Hi folks,

I am starting to read up about smartpens lately, however I cannot find a lot of people who have or use them yet. Being able to digitize whatever i write seems very usefull to me in for instance some creative writing projects, but also as a way to have my digital inbox always with me. So here are some of the things I feel are usefull to me in such a product;
- must be useable on normal paper
- can be used no problem by left-handed folks
- can connect to a PC and or (older) android device
- can convert handwritten text into typed.

I am very interested to hear any experience or thoughts on this, (i am open to specific products if you know any) Mostly i am trying to decide wether it is a fun gadget or a usefull tool.

mcogilvie

Registered
I've looked into smart pens that write on paper, and concluded they are niche products that will never be big, and will die off fairly soon. The software appears to be mediocre. I feel safe in saying your list of desired features would not be met. I would say that these pens are more waste of time and money than anything else, but of course they have their enthusiasts. I do have an Apple Pencil, which is a different kind of device and works well. It's fairly nice, but not essential for me.

jlchan37

Registered
My aunt likes the the smart pen that comes with the Samsung Note 5. I wanted to try Samsung Note 7's version of the smart pen yet we know why I can't do that right now. ;-) I'm sure the pen works well, my concern is losing it.

Phillip

Registered
i'm using S-pen (Samsung Note), quite convenient to take note anything. I don't want to type with tiny keyboard. It's useful especially when you make presentation, speech or in a conference.