Capturing tools and logistics

manynothings

Registered
Hello,

I am having trouble finding a decent paper capturing tool that I can bring on the move. Usually I keep a piece of paper and pencil in a bag, so I can just search around for the two. However, I noticed this process is unwieldy, as it takes around 20 seconds for me to get prepared to jot down the idea I have. An alternative I have tried is putting a small notepad in a trouser pocket along with a pencil, but how the hell to people even manage to not drop items from that, especially when sitting. I have a hunch that using pockets would greatly reduce time to capture, however, I haven't been able to make it work.

Any suggestions? (I am trying to stem away from electronic tools, so ignore those options.)

Thanks.

cfoley

Registered
I like this question so I applied the natural planning model. Not sure how many of these I would want to try.

# Why

My current capture tool is too slow, taking 20 seconds to get started writing.

# Principles

- No electronic capture tools
- Mustn't be easily losable

# Wild Success

I have a cool idea walking down a busy high street but I'm in a hurry. Nevertheless, It is captured within 5 seconds, all without breaking stride or getting in the way of others.

# Brainstorm / Organise

**Strategies**

- Try each appealing idea for a month, write down the pros and cons of each.
- Test how long it takes to capture in different situations.

**Make a pocket notebook harder to lose**

- Wallet chain but for notepad
- Lanyard

**Use something I already have with me**

- Notetaker wallet
- Write in permanent marker on the back of my phone, clean off with solvent at home after processing
- Phone case with built in notepad
- Ask my partner/friend/servant to take a note for me.

**Write on Myself**

- Write on my arm, use quality eyeliner pen, wash off with makeup remover.
- Whiteboard clothing. Does this exist?
- Long-sleeved T-Shirt, cut off captured items after processing. Buy cheap, write small.

**Reduce the risk of losing it by reducing the severity**

- Notepads cheap enough that losing them isn't a problem.
- Several small pads, one in each pocket
- Carry some stamped self-addressed postcards around. After capturing, mail them to myself.

# Next action

@Errands: Buy a quality eyeliner pen.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I like this question so I applied the natural planning model. Not sure how many of these I would want to try.

# Why

My current capture tool is too slow, taking 20 seconds to get started writing.

# Principles

- No electronic capture tools
- Mustn't be easily losable

# Wild Success

I have a cool idea walking down a busy high street but I'm in a hurry. Nevertheless, It is captured within 5 seconds, all without breaking stride or getting in the way of others.

# Brainstorm / Organise

**Strategies**

- Try each appealing idea for a month, write down the pros and cons of each.
- Test how long it takes to capture in different situations.

**Make a pocket notebook harder to lose**

- Wallet chain but for notepad
- Lanyard

**Use something I already have with me**

- Notetaker wallet
- Write in permanent marker on the back of my phone, clean off with solvent at home after processing
- Phone case with built in notepad
- Ask my partner/friend/servant to take a note for me.

**Write on Myself**

- Write on my arm, use quality eyeliner pen, wash off with makeup remover.
- Whiteboard clothing. Does this exist?
- Long-sleeved T-Shirt, cut off captured items after processing. Buy cheap, write small.

**Reduce the risk of losing it by reducing the severity**

- Notepads cheap enough that losing them isn't a problem.
- Several small pads, one in each pocket
- Carry some stamped self-addressed postcards around. After capturing, mail them to myself.

# Next action

@Errands: Buy a quality eyeliner pen.
Great answer!

Project: design whiteboard clothing!

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
How about a capture wallet?
But hurry, they're running out!

I have a similar tool and this is my go to for "mobile" capture. I use a product from Royce leather that i got off Amazon but I'm finding that its harder to locate these days so if im in need of a replacement - thanks for posting think @René Lie

I have a few other options that help for less "paper friendly" situations (esp. driving) -
a. call my office and leave myself a voicemail
b. i have a siri shortcut to drop a new task into my todoist inbox. I just say "hey Siri, mindsweep"

Side note - I wonder if we should start a thread on these forums about cool "physical" gear for GTD? or maybe it already exists and i just haven't seen it.

mcogilvie

Registered
Side note - I wonder if we should start a thread on these forums about cool "physical" gear for GTD? or maybe it already exists and i just haven't seen it.

I feel some residual pull towards “cool physical gear” but outside of occasional use of a Circa-style notebook and a gel pen, my gear is all digital. I doubt that I handle more than 4 inches of paper in a year. Still, it would be fun to hear from people about this.

mickdodge

Registered
I have a hunch that using pockets would greatly reduce time to capture, however, I haven't been able to make it work.

I use my pockets. Each day I place a new sturdy 250-gsm index card (or two) in my back pocket, and an easily portable (3.5" closed) Fisher Space Pen in my right front pocket. At then end of the day, the index card ends up in my physical inbox to be clarified and organized as needed.

devon.marie

Registered
Some ideas:
  • Rhodia A7 notebook in a pocket if you like to tear your slips out later and put them in an inbox.
  • Field Notes notebook if you want something that's a bit thinner/more comfy in a pocket and don't mind not tearing pages out (you can put the entire notebook in your inbox at the end of a day out and cross things out as processed).
  • A Fisher space pen, as mickdodge suggested, is a great tool to always have on hand. If you opt to not keep it in a pocket, you have more options, but unless you have particular tastes, nothing really beats a space pen for convenience, size, and reliability.
I personally keep mine in a bag, because I'm a woman and it's apparently illegal for women to have usable pockets. My system is build around a 6-ring binder system, so I have small tear-free slips set up in there. It takes me only a couple of seconds to open my bag and grab my Plotter, so this works for me. I would suggest, if you are keeping yours in a bag, giving it a designated pocket or space where your quick-draw time on your pocket notebook is as fast as possible.

boomer70

Registered
While I use Braintoss I frequently use a folded 4x6 index card stuck in my coat or pants pocket. I work for a retail company and it works well when walking a store or a distribution center.

OliverG

Registered
Indeed: Braintoss
I use a Google Keep/Note widget on the starting page of my phone. And I often dictate (you need to check if it transcribes correctly !!!)

Fast enough for me.

My handwriting on the go would be THAT bad that I could hardly read it And I know what I am talking about ;)

webdad

Registered
Late to the party, but has anyone looked at the Rocketbook line? Specifically, the Rocketbook mini (https://getrocketbook.com/products/rocketbook-mini). With it, you could even have your handwritten notes emailed to any number of places / destinations (Todoist inbox, Email, Onedrive, google drive, etc). I've used Rocketbooks in all forms for a number of years, and am just now returning to GTD after wandering around in the wilds of task management for the past 4 - 5 years.

FocusGuy

Registered
- At my office I use a paper note book. Each day I put today's date and jot everything line by line. It is my inbox.
- When I am Outside I use Omnifocus and it micro It is very fast and precise. When I come back on my mac I clarify as I do for my paper notebook at the end of each day.

Naomi

Registered
Late to the party, but has anyone looked at the Rocketbook line? Specifically, the Rocketbook mini (https://getrocketbook.com/products/rocketbook-mini). With it, you could even have your handwritten notes emailed to any number of places / destinations (Todoist inbox, Email, Onedrive, google drive, etc). I've used Rocketbooks in all forms for a number of years, and am just now returning to GTD after wandering around in the wilds of task management for the past 4 - 5 years.
I purchased a Rocketbook about 4 years ago. One issue was that because I didn’t have a process or organisation system in place (GTD or anything else) I didn’t get in a rhythm with it. The process of sending it and trying to work out where to file / organise each document just got unwieldy, and I couldn’t see the benefit, so I ditched it. Going back to trying it again a few months later, the erasable pen wouldn’t fully erase! (My fault, ofc.)
I can see that it would be useful if you had your GTD set up, but I’m not tempted back. Instead, I am thinking of the ReMarkable 2 , which is digital, but feels like it might work for me.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I purchased a Rocketbook about 4 years ago. One issue was that because I didn’t have a process or organisation system in place (GTD or anything else) I didn’t get in a rhythm with it. The process of sending it and trying to work out where to file / organise each document just got unwieldy, and I couldn’t see the benefit, so I ditched it. Going back to trying it again a few months later, the erasable pen wouldn’t fully erase! (My fault, ofc.)
I can see that it would be useful if you had your GTD set up, but I’m not tempted back. Instead, I am thinking of the ReMarkable 2 , which is digital, but feels like it might work for me.
I use to call my Rocketbook the "poor man's Remarkable"...

I don't use my Rocketbook too often, but when I do, I'm quite happy with it!

To me, th Remarkable is too expensive, and I don't like the idea of having to pay for a subscription to make use of services that I think should be included with the purchase...

TheSnowman

Registered
Love using my Rocketbooks (letter, executive and pocket size). Main plus for me is jotting notes and having the ability to scan them directly into a GTD Inbox in OneNote (which is where my GTD system lives) and I can add them to my projects, agendas, waiting on, someday/maybe, reference, etc.

nlemon3434

Registered
Hello,

I am having trouble finding a decent paper capturing tool that I can bring on the move. Usually I keep a piece of paper and pencil in a bag, so I can just search around for the two. However, I noticed this process is unwieldy, as it takes around 20 seconds for me to get prepared to jot down the idea I have. An alternative I have tried is putting a small notepad in a trouser pocket along with a pencil, but how the hell to people even manage to not drop items from that, especially when sitting. I have a hunch that using pockets would greatly reduce time to capture, however, I haven't been able to make it work.

Any suggestions? (I am trying to stem away from electronic tools, so ignore those options.)

Thanks.
I'm not being critical in any way, just genuinely curious--Why do you want to avoid electronic tools?

GTDChemist

Registered
When working in my lab, I’ll capture by writing on the back of a gloved hand with sharpie. It’s as fast as you can get. I would do it out on the street too without gloves using a felt or ball point pen, but prefer to capture with my phone.