"Clients" as projects

lisaGTD

Registered
Hi all,

Within my work role I have a number of clients that I work with. I am responsible for achieving a number of outcomes for each client.

My question is how others would or do manage this situation within the GTD process?

Is each client a project with several sub projects?

Currently I have "clients" as an area of focus then a separate list of clients (a bit like a checklist I suppose). I then record each of the sub projects on to my project list and the next actions into the relevant action list.

Any thoughts on the best way of managing this?

mcogilvie

Registered
Hi all,

Within my work role I have a number of clients that I work with. I am responsible for achieving a number of outcomes for each client.

My question is how others would or do manage this situation within the GTD process?

Is each client a project with several sub projects?

Currently I have "clients" as an area of focus then a separate list of clients (a bit like a checklist I suppose). I then record each of the sub projects on to my project list and the next actions into the relevant action list.

Depends on several factors:
1) What tool(s) are you using?
2) how do you want to see things?
3) Do you need a path to connect what you see to other people, e.g. report to Boss?

Your current setup seems fine to me, and very orthodox gtd. If you’re happy, why change?

lisaGTD

Registered
Depends on several factors:
1) What tool(s) are you using?

I'm quite limited regarding tools as it's a government organisation with a limited budget. I've used word document table and used the sorting feature to see actions by context but at home I use the ticktick app and it's so much faster andamore streamlined.

How do you want to see things?
3) Do you need a path to connect what you see to other people, e.g. report to Boss?

Not sure what you mean by this, could you give me an example?

Your current setup seems fine to me, and very orthodox gtd. If you’re happy, why change?

I'm moving to a new organisation doing the same role so I'm using it as a chance to review my set up .I'm hoping I might have better GTD tools, even if it's just ms outlook!

TesTeq

Registered

I like your "client as an area of focus" approach. I think it is very natural if you have multi project relationships with your clients. I would probably add the "all prospects" area of focus.

thomasbk

Registered
When I was a project director I had each client as the project and then the actual work project as a subproject written as an outcome (launch website, publish report, etc.) That way I could quickly jump between clients and specific projects. I think once you get into the weeds of whatever tool you're using then you'll have to decide what works best for the tool (e.g., subprojects or client tags).

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I would keep clients as areas of focus for a simple reason: you can complete projects but you cannot complete areas of focus.
A client is something you maintain or oversee and that you have projects with. Maybe you could create a clients list and keep it as a sub-list of your areas of focus.

Cheers,
Tristan

Ger80C

Registered
I label projects using the naming scheme: "[Client] - [Outcome]". For example: Roadrunner - Services Contract reviewed. For bigger matters such as litigation I may use sub-projects and then use a unique identifyer to group them together, such as "Roadrunner - Coyote litigation - statement of defense submitted".

I also keep a list of Clients I worked with as a trigger list that I revisit during my weekly review. This is linked to one of my (professional) areas of focus, keeping a trusted relationship to my existing clients. The list reminds me to stay in tough with clients I do not have any active projects or matters pending with at the moment.

Hope this is helpful.

lisaGTD

Registered
I label projects using the naming scheme: "[Client] - [Outcome]". For example: Roadrunner - Services Contract reviewed. For bigger matters such as litigation I may use sub-projects and then use a unique identifyer to group them together, such as "Roadrunner - Coyote litigation - statement of defense submitted".

I also keep a list of Clients I worked with as a trigger list that I revisit during my weekly review. This is linked to one of my (professional) areas of focus, keeping a trusted relationship to my existing clients. The list reminds me to stay in tough with clients I do not have any active projects or matters pending with at the moment.

Hope this is helpful.

That's really helpful, thanks.

RS356

Registered

I manage my clients in this way as well. Not every client has an active project, but a regular review of the list ensures that I’m appropriately engaged with each of them.

MichaelB212

Registered
I work in sales and have been trying to figure how best to manage a large account base in my system. Out of curiosity, in what tool do you maintain your client list? I imagine in a reference tool rather than your list manager?

RS356

Registered
I work in sales and have been trying to figure how best to manage a large account base in my system. Out of curiosity, in what tool do you maintain your client list? I imagine in a reference tool rather than your list manager?

One of my areas of focus is “clients”. The list itself is in my contact manager, groups of all past, current and potential clients. In practice, this is reference material that is reviewed regularly. Projects and actions related to clients go on the appropriate GTD list.

Being in sales, are you already using CRM or similar database?