Co-working essential gear

MichaelB212

Registered
Hi all,

I recently started a new position where I'll be working from a co-working space 2 to 3 times per week, and the rest of the time out in the field. I'll generally utilize the large, open communal areas as opposed to the private rooms. Aside from the basics -- i.e. laptop, cell phone -- what other gear would you suggest as essential for a great mobile office setup, particularly for GTD-minded folks? I live and work in New York City so portability is key.

The co-working space does provide solid WiFi, ample outlets, printers, coffee/tea/water refilling stations, and shared refrigerator/pantry space.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

dtj

Registered
I just went through this exercise. My usual backpack was a Tom Bihn Synapse 19 (19L) and I got its bigger brother the Synapse 25 (25L) for things like air travel, to add a bit more stuff. I decided that I was going to outfit them identically, so I made a list and went through all the compartments.

Left compartment: Pen, highlighters, small screwdriver w/both philips & std, spare 2.5 cheater glasses
Right compartment: 2 RX bars (in ziploc), ziplocs (gal,qt,snack), small flashlight, 3x5 cards, lined postit 3x5 notes, bulldog clips,
Bottom compartment: Big usbc power brick, double USBA power wart,portable yeti mic, double usbc power wart w/apple watch & lightning, usbc power delivery long cable
Small back compartment: Apple magic mouse 2, biz cards, tylenol & advil, battery bag (2 AAA,2AA,1 CR2032), badge lanyard
Bigger back compartment, in "burglers kit": 14 port usbc dock, long hdmi cable, hdmi f->f extender, 256gb usb key, thunderbolt 2->3 dongle, laser pointer, usbc->vgi dongle, spare wired earpods, with lightning adapter

Come to think of it, I need to add a cat5 cable to each kit.

bishblaize

Registered
My checklist for when I'm in the co-working space

Laptop
iPad
Charger
Battery pack
Lightning Cable
USB C Cable
USB C Dongle
Flash drive
HDMI adaptor
Apple Pencil
Camera stand (its a Joby stand)
Airpods
Big headphones
Mouse (Magic mouse)
Keyboard (old iMac Bluetooth one)
Laptop stand (its like this)
Journal/pen
Aeropress
Water bottle
Bike stuff

I don't take them all, I just run through the checklist and take what I need for that day.

thomasbk

Registered
If you're on a Mac, the AirPods Pro are great for noise-canceling and allowing me to discreetly tell Siri to add things to a list or my calendar.

mcogilvie

Registered
Wow! And I thought I had a lot of digital gear. Just FYI: I stopped carrying a flash drive several years ago after I used one of mine to give a presentation at a certain place in a certain country. I realized that after they plugged my flash drive into their computer system, under no circumstances whatever did I want it back.

Oogiem

Registered
I realized that after they plugged my flash drive into their computer system, under no circumstances whatever did I want it back.
OTOH you could have taken it back and then never put it into one of your mchines but handed it off to someone who would like to see what got added to it once you got back home.

bishblaize

Registered
Wow! And I thought I had a lot of digital gear. Just FYI: I stopped carrying a flash drive several years ago after I used one of mine to give a presentation at a certain place in a certain country. I realized that after they plugged my flash drive into their computer system, under no circumstances whatever did I want it back.
My flash drive has virtual machines on it for when I want to use linux or windows on my Macbook.

dtj

Registered
I don't think i've ever used my EDC flashdrives on machines in the wild. It's always sneakernet to and from my corporate machines. And just as backups of local files. But it's a good point about using them in the wild, security wise.

bishblaize

Registered
I don't think i've ever used my EDC flashdrives on machines in the wild. It's always sneakernet to and from my corporate machines. And just as backups of local files. But it's a good point about using them in the wild, security wise.
I've been using Airdroid when I want to pass someone a file locally, which works a treat. It runs a web server from your phone, which you access through a browser. You authenticate access from the phone so you don't need to worry about a password. It's particularly useful if you ever need to share text, like login info, since it has a clipboard. Despite the name, it works on iOS too.

schmeggahead

Registered
I've been using Airdroid
It's amazing the amount of information this free application tracks linked to you and explicitly used to track you.

Clayton
When apps are free, you are the product. - [comments about Twitter and other social media].

bishblaize

Registered
It's amazing the amount of information this free application tracks linked to you and explicitly used to track you.

Clayton
When apps are free, you are the product. - [comments about Twitter and other social media].
All my internet traffic is wireguarded to my home server then filtered through a pihole.

MichaelB212

Registered
Great suggestions, all. I appreciate the input.

My company issued me a new Lenovo Thinkpad which feels like Darth Vader's laptop compared to my MacBook Air. I am not *required* to use it - everything I access is web or cloud-based - but there is a certain "separation of church & state" that I appreciate for psychologically shifting between work and home modes. I have Microsoft's Compact Designer Keyboard and Arc Mouse which are excellent travel companions, especially paired with the laptop riser that @bishblaize suggested. However, this has me questioning again if my M2 MacBook Air, Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse are redundant if I can get by with an iPad Air + Keyboard combo for all my personal computing needs. Does anyone else utilize a company-issued work machine and manage their personal life from a tablet?

Matt_M

Registered
I saw this thread a couple of days ago and I think there are some great suggestions already, so I won't bother repeating much. However, when I was more of a road warrior than I am now, I absolutely loved David's video for "GTD on the road":

He had some excellent tips even though it was done back in a different time than the modern day and it is somewhat geared for "overnight" type travel.

Personally, I always include the following whenever I am traveling, either locally or "overnight":

• High quality messenger bag/briefcase (my choice was a TUMI Alpha II expandable storage briefcase bag ... totally from David's recommendation in the above video several years ago ... the thing is made of iron and still in excellent shape today despite me putting it through heck for years on end)
  • 10 ~ 15ft CAT-5 Ethernet cable (you never know when a wifi network will be spotty, overloaded, or unavailable)
  • Various adapters/dongles (even before the advent of USB-C there were all kinds ports: USB, VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, 3mm Audio, etc.)
  • 500GB Hard Drive (not necessarily for sharing with anyone but if I needed emergency space or something, it's good to have on hand)
  • GTD folders + extra folders (not plastic ones but high quality folders for keeping tracking of travel documents, mobile inbox, and action support)
  • Pad of sticky notes (great for capture and for providing people notes on their documents)
  • Extra pens/highlighters/scissors/staples/paper clips/binder clips/rubber bands/pencils/erasers/etc. because those things are never available when you need them
  • Wired earbuds (bluetooth is great but can be unreliable or sometimes not permitted in certain locations)
  • Small compact mirror (I got one from a conference swag bag and it's an absolute life saver to peek behind monitors and hard to reach areas ... as well as make sure I don't like bad before a meeting)
  • Tiny bottle of aspirin/advil/etc. (headaches can come on randomly or what have you so it is always nice to be prepared)
  • Extra pair of leather gloves (in case I forget mine in either my coat, my car, lost in the airport, or in general as well as if something looks "unpleasant" to touch ... these have saved me a couple of times)
  • Compact umbrella (weather is unpredictable and umbrellas are another one of those "never seem to have them around when you need them" things)
  • Swiss army knife (a knife is one of the most versatile tools you can ever have on you as it has something like well over 100 different uses) [NOTE: - Do NOT take this through an airport]
  • Small tube of hand lotion/hand sanitizer (even pre-covid this was a must have as I don't like touching my laptop with dirty hands and my skin is always dry)
  • 2 phone charger banks (you never know when you need more power and don't have an outlet available or it is not convenient)
  • Extra pad of paper (in case my main folio is empty or I run out mid use)

Related but perhaps not quite for the OP's case as he is in NYC and that is a unique place in the United States where owning a car is seen as a huge cost burden compared to everywhere else in the United States. I would often have an extra change of clothes in my car. Everything from top to bottom (socks, undergarments, shoes, shirts, pants, glasses/sunglasses, watch, etc.), in business casual with 2 ties for appropriate events, such that if I need to dress up for an event or meeting then I can easily do that or if something spills on me then I am not out of luck. For traveling by plane, I always packed a single "basic" outfit in my carry-on in case my checked luggage is lost/delayed/stolen (when I was traveling with a proper suitcase for extended trips ... now I only will ever use a carry-on).

Well, those are my tips and tricks. Obviously, I tended to carry a bit more than most as I somewhat emulated a mini office in my briefcase for many years. Quite wonderfully too. However, I rarely travel anymore so it is not as applicable as much.

I hope this helps :)

dtj

Registered
Actually, I have the Swiss Army Knife and a bottle opener on each of my keychains. Just a very small one that includes a tweezer and a plastic toothpick, for "those" times. When doing air travel, the knife gets either left behind, or put in checked luggage, and my keys get clipped inside my back to avoid loss.

Jinho

Registered
I saw this thread a couple of days ago and I think there are some great suggestions already, so I won't bother repeating much. However, when I was more of a road warrior than I am now, I absolutely loved David's video for "GTD on the road":

He had some excellent tips even though it was done back in a different time than the modern day and it is somewhat geared for "overnight" type travel.

Personally, I always include the following whenever I am traveling, either locally or "overnight":

• High quality messenger bag/briefcase (my choice was a TUMI Alpha II expandable storage briefcase bag ... totally from David's recommendation in the above video several years ago ... the thing is made of iron and still in excellent shape today despite me putting it through heck for years on end)
  • 10 ~ 15ft CAT-5 Ethernet cable (you never know when a wifi network will be spotty, overloaded, or unavailable)
  • Various adapters/dongles (even before the advent of USB-C there were all kinds ports: USB, VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, 3mm Audio, etc.)
  • 500GB Hard Drive (not necessarily for sharing with anyone but if I needed emergency space or something, it's good to have on hand)
  • GTD folders + extra folders (not plastic ones but high quality folders for keeping tracking of travel documents, mobile inbox, and action support)
  • Pad of sticky notes (great for capture and for providing people notes on their documents)
  • Extra pens/highlighters/scissors/staples/paper clips/binder clips/rubber bands/pencils/erasers/etc. because those things are never available when you need them
  • Wired earbuds (bluetooth is great but can be unreliable or sometimes not permitted in certain locations)
  • Small compact mirror (I got one from a conference swag bag and it's an absolute life saver to peek behind monitors and hard to reach areas ... as well as make sure I don't like bad before a meeting)
  • Tiny bottle of aspirin/advil/etc. (headaches can come on randomly or what have you so it is always nice to be prepared)
  • Extra pair of leather gloves (in case I forget mine in either my coat, my car, lost in the airport, or in general as well as if something looks "unpleasant" to touch ... these have saved me a couple of times)
  • Compact umbrella (weather is unpredictable and umbrellas are another one of those "never seem to have them around when you need them" things)
  • Swiss army knife (a knife is one of the most versatile tools you can ever have on you as it has something like well over 100 different uses, got mine from a local gun store https://gritrsports.com/ ) [NOTE: - Do NOT take this through an airport]
  • Small tube of hand lotion/hand sanitizer (even pre-covid this was a must have as I don't like touching my laptop with dirty hands and my skin is always dry)
  • 2 phone charger banks (you never know when you need more power and don't have an outlet available or it is not convenient)
  • Extra pad of paper (in case my main folio is empty or I run out mid use)

Related but perhaps not quite for the OP's case as he is in NYC and that is a unique place in the United States where owning a car is seen as a huge cost burden compared to everywhere else in the United States. I would often have an extra change of clothes in my car. Everything from top to bottom (socks, undergarments, shoes, shirts, pants, glasses/sunglasses, watch, etc.), in business casual with 2 ties for appropriate events, such that if I need to dress up for an event or meeting then I can easily do that or if something spills on me then I am not out of luck. For traveling by plane, I always packed a single "basic" outfit in my carry-on in case my checked luggage is lost/delayed/stolen (when I was traveling with a proper suitcase for extended trips ... now I only will ever use a carry-on).

Well, those are my tips and tricks. Obviously, I tended to carry a bit more than most as I somewhat emulated a mini office in my briefcase for many years. Quite wonderfully too. However, I rarely travel anymore so it is not as applicable as much.

I hope this helps :)
2 charge bankss is definitely a must. Usually I never pack painkillers since those are easy to find, but now that I think about it - not a bad idea, should add it to my list :D

Last edited: