"Context List(s)" vs. "Check List"?

gtdstudente

Registered
Fellow GTDers,

What criteria would you say distinguishes GTD "Context List(s)" from "Check List(s)"?

Thank you very much

cfoley

Registered
A context list is a list of next actions. Once the actions are done, they are done forever.

A checklist is a list of things to check off and might not be actions. e.g. a packing list, the steps of the weekly review, the definition of done for a software feature. Most checklists are designed to be reused.

mcogilvie

Registered
It’s an interesting question for me, because my list app of choice, Things, supports checklists as an optional part of actions. I have found that I prefer packing lists and similar templates as projects containing “actions” which are things to pack. This has more to do with the particulars of the software than any lofty theory- I just find it works better for me that way.

cfoley

Registered
I have found that I prefer packing lists and similar templates as projects containing “actions” which are things to pack.

That's interesting. I would call this a checklist. The fact that you are using software that calls it a project is just an implementation detail to me.

FocusGuy

Registered
It’s an interesting question for me, because my list app of choice, Things, supports checklists as an optional part of actions. I have found that I prefer packing lists and similar templates as projects containing “actions” which are things to pack. This has more to do with the particulars of the software than any lofty theory- I just find it works better for me that way.
Yes it is one of the most interring native function things offers. With Omnifocus, despite of the possibility to do an " indent "I simply put the checklist into the task note. It is faster and has the same effect.

mcogilvie

Registered
That's interesting. I would call this a checklist. The fact that you are using software that calls it a project is just an implementation detail to me.
I just call it a packing list. Because we have been taking some longer trips that require more specialized gear, packing can become a multi-day exercise, and really a sub-project of a larger project. For short sequences of actions, particularly recurring ones, I sometimes use something like “Prep, post, print Problem Set” as a descriptor and delete verbs as I go. It’s sometimes important to remember there’s a big difference between a sequential and parallel list.

PeterByrom

Registered
I'd say the following:

Context list: these house next actions, and next actions only! When you find yourself in that context (e.g. at the shops, at home, at your computer, with your partner, in deep thinking mode, etc) you open the list and pick any actions you want to try to get done. So the formula is "when I am in X context, I check the list to see if I can complete any actions which require me to be in X context"

Checklist: These are for helping you to go through procedural steps, whether that be processes required for performing types of actions, options to pick from, or considerations that need triggering (e.g. how to process a financial transaction, ideas that could be picked from when coming to to write a blog, or things that need looking out for when winter is coming). They are similar to contexts in the sense that they're to be "when I'm in X situation" or "when I'm trying to do X process", but they're not action commitments in and of themselves. Rather, they support you in doing actions or in triggering thinking.

FocusGuy

Registered
I'd say the following:

Context list: these house next actions, and next actions only! When you find yourself in that context (e.g. at the shops, at home, at your computer, with your partner, in deep thinking mode, etc) you open the list and pick any actions you want to try to get done. So the formula is "when I am in X context, I check the list to see if I can complete any actions which require me to be in X context"

Checklist: These are for helping you to go through procedural steps, whether that be processes required for performing types of actions, options to pick from, or considerations that need triggering (e.g. how to process a financial transaction, ideas that could be picked from when coming to to write a blog, or things that need looking out for when winter is coming). They are similar to contexts in the sense that they're to be "when I'm in X situation" or "when I'm trying to do X process", but they're not action commitments in and of themselves. Rather, they support you in doing actions or in triggering thinking.
I agree with Peter. Except for some kind of complicated task I use check list includes in task's note.

gtdstudente

Registered
I just call it a packing list. Because we have been taking some longer trips that require more specialized gear, packing can become a multi-day exercise, and really a sub-project of a larger project. For short sequences of actions, particularly recurring ones, I sometimes use something like “Prep, post, print Problem Set” as a descriptor and delete verbs as I go. It’s sometimes important to remember there’s a big difference between a sequential and parallel list.
@mcogilvie,

As with others, thank you for your thoughtful reply

I think I understand what you saying a "sequential list" if being applied to Check list, however, "parallel list" has me speculating what you might be meaning?

Thank you for any clarification

mcogilvie

Registered
@mcogilvie,

As with others, thank you for your thoughtful reply

I think I understand what you saying a "sequential list" if being applied to Check list, however, "parallel list" has me speculating what you might be meaning?

Thank you for any clarification

I have to prepare a document before I print it, so it’s sequential. If I’m packing, the order doesn’t usually matter too much, and I can be in the middle of packing electronics while gathering outerwear. That’s what I mean by parallel.