Crash course 101 on adhesive tape (typoe of scotch tape David recommends) linked to Sellotape or duck tape or black/brown tape etc

What should be my next action to address this issue and obtain a better tape for myself

• Obtain some type normal sellotape normal quality not low quality (without a dispenser)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Obtain sellotape with a tape dispenser not low quality

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Try purchase online some scotch tape brand which is shipped overseas(so worse for environment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Title or titles for this post would be: reading scotch tape recommended in allens book.
links to myself being in UK (where I could be improved by having an improvement then just using/having 1 regular roll of Sellotape - you understand
Research/facts about scotch tape.

Draft one of writing:

ITM
Post about scotch tape on david allen forum.

I see something in book to get:
Is scotch tape.

At first - didn’t actually know what it was, but must be linked to Sellotape.

This related to myself - because myself I just have one Sellotape in my bedroom regular type, which maybe doesn’t have best stickiness.
And has the issue - when use it , when stopped using it - you forget where the end of Sellotape was (unless you fold it and make a note to always fold it) - Ive see sold/advertised before type “Sellotape dispenser”.

"-maybe I could get something a uk type Sellotape dispenser and just use that instead of scotch tape?"

Myself tim was thinking of using Sellotape for specific reason related to diet? E.g. I was thinking literally - using tape on top paper note to note the weight of item used to hold foods (on top of scale) for tracking macros- should note weight of everything used, for this I need some kind of transparent tape (so doesn’t get washed off the label when trying washing up the equipment) - you understand?

What else would Sellotape or tape or scotch tape have uses for for persons? Should I be using more? For packaging stuff (don’t do that much) maybe … - gon right don’t really do that much designing stuff myself ,so not sure has complete use for myself to invest in tape? [end of paragraphs writing about What use tape for).

When searched online I see “Scotch Tape is a brand name used for pressure-sensitive tapes developed by 3M.

[Scotch tape | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary] https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/scotch-tape

Its just a brand of a usa tape - so david properly put it in book being from America (but - its also possible use other tapes styles/brands instead - why didn’t david just write tape in the book?)

[Scotch Tape - Wikipedia] [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_Tape]

[Tapes (scotchbrand.com)] on the official website have 3 different main sub types of tape [https://www.scotchbrand.com/3M/en_US/scotch-brand/products/all-tape/clear-tape/]

So scotch tape clear is basically same as Sellotape in UK? Or very similar. [in conclusion scotch and Sellotape are types of adhesive tape - maybe allen would have been better writing adhesive tape in book]
*I also personally have 1 black tape (small diameter) and 1 thick black duct tape (large diameter) which I barely use

end question poll below

Idea occurred make a poll for users reading in this thread series - should I try something:

1. Obtain some type normal Sellotape normal quality not low quality.
  2. Obtain sellotape with a tape dispenser not low quality.
  3. Try purchase online some scotch tape brand which is shipped overseas(so worse for environment.

The purpose of this post - is for myself to gain knowledge/understand of what actually scotch or adhesive tape is.
,clarify the uses of it, what would use it for (does it have practical application).
Is it worth I invest in better product right now.

By making this post - I could also help other users using internet (do same thing of gain knowledge of three points written above (because when searched scotch or adhesive tape myself I couldn’t actually find anything - a specific forum post about this topic.

I would be very happy if other uses added and interacted ideas about this post.

I think I have cleared up all the 5 Ws of English in this post.

Anything else - make note at end of it .
Myself tim would be willing to totally delete this one post off forum and re write it (if users agree it makes sense because this post is low quality).

1708891945086.png

This image attached (did it first time for some reason, just pasted from weblink upload (why is that this happens I don't know))

I show Pic just took trying say what about writing here: that my sellotape doesn't have best stickiness .
2 other problem is that having find end of the tape (which is why tape dispensers were invented) I see most tape dispensers (are for smaller sized sellotapes?) so need research - unless you write some note "to leave a fold on your Sellotape" my mother was saying.
When I was talking to her about this topic - first thing says is that don't need scotch tape, its American tape ...

[https://www.bing.com/search?pglt=67...YQNIBCDcwNDZqMGoxqAIAsAIA&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=HCTS] If I search tape dispenser UK in to my browser things come up - mostly for smaller sized tape - there are some which look normal size - you probably if buy sellotape dispenser - it probably has to be used with a specific type of branded sellotape to work properly, unlikely that it will just fit any regular sellotape
+so if have sellotape which is sub optimal 8cm diameter -makes sense I could get new Sellotape as well.

W STN?
and users @René Lie or @Mrs-Polifax or @gtdstudente "to start with :( 9 red lines

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
Dear @TimBourne:

You say David Allen recommends scotch tape on his list of office supplies. Scotch tape is a brand name of the 3M company. However, "scotch tape" has become a generic name in the U.S. for any invisible or transparent tape that sticks, so it is not a special kind of tape from the U.S. I don't know what kind of tape you have in the U.K., but I am guessing it should work fine.

Since you can't think of any use you have for tape right now, you could wait to buy tape until you do have a use in mind for tape. This would save money on office supplies.

However, since you say the big rolls of tape you now have lack stickiness, which is an essential feature of tape, you could buy one roll of normally sticky tape now, in case a need for it arises, and you could wait to buy more tape until later, if needed.

If you do decide to buy one roll of tape now, then you could also buy one tape dispenser for that roll. This would prevent the cut end of the tape from sticking to itself, which would spare you unnecessary frustration.

I use invisible tape, which has a matte finish, meaning that it is dull or non-reflective and not shiny. I buy this size: 0.75 inches wide by 1266 inches long (19 mm wide x 32.9 m long). It has a one-inch core (hole) in the center. This is typical scotch tape used for everyday things. Here is a link to one roll of this size and kind of tape:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like to use a small, lightweight, hand-held tape dispenser for my tape. This dispenser fits the tape mentioned above. The dispenser does not include tape. Here's a link to the dispenser I have and use:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may not need some of the supplies David Allen recommends. For instance, having a label maker would be a convenience and would save time. However, if costs are a concern, you can manage without a label maker, and when you need labels, you can print them from a printer or hand print them.

To print labels legibly by hand, it helps a lot to slow down, take a deep breath, and take your time. A good marker or pen makes a big difference. One pen I use for dark legible lines is a black Sakura Pigma Graphic 1.0 mm pen. Here is a link to the Sakura pen:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I had a laser printer, I used Avery 2181 file folder labels. These are long, narrow, half-letter size sheets of labels. These Avery file folder labels are about 3.4 inches wide x 0.66 inches high, and they fit on manila file folders with 1/3 cut tabs. I had more options than a label maker usually offers because I was printing them from MS Word, which has lots of font choices. I think these labels were a lot less expensive than label-maker tape, and they looked very legible and neat. It was easy to print them from the auxilliary paper tray without removing paper from the main tray. However, I think a label-maker is faster and more convenient because an organizing coach I knew highly recommended using one. Here is a link to these Avery labels:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats all for now.

Best wishes, @TimBourne

Emily Polifax

Dear @TimBourne:

You say David Allen recommends scotch tape on his list of office supplies. Scotch tape is a brand name of the 3M company. However, "scotch tape" has become a generic name in the U.S. for any invisible or transparent tape that sticks, so it is not a special kind of tape from the U.S. I don't know what kind of tape you have in the U.K., but I am guessing it should work fine.

Since you can't think of any use you have for tape right now, you could wait to buy tape until you do have a use in mind for tape. This would save money on office supplies.

However, since you say the big rolls of tape you now have lack stickiness, which is an essential feature of tape, you could buy one roll of normally sticky tape now, in case a need for it arises, and you could wait to buy more tape until later, if needed.

If you do decide to buy one roll of tape now, then you could also buy one tape dispenser for that roll. This would prevent the cut end of the tape from sticking to itself, which would spare you unnecessary frustration.

I use invisible tape, which has a matte finish, meaning that it is dull or non-reflective and not shiny. I buy this size: 0.75 inches wide by 1266 inches long (19 mm wide x 32.9 m long). It has a one-inch core (hole) in the center. This is typical scotch tape used for everyday things. Here is a link to one roll of this size and kind of tape:

I like to use a small, lightweight, hand-held tape dispenser for my tape. This dispenser fits the tape mentioned above. The dispenser does not include tape. Here's a link to the dispenser I have and use:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may not need some of the supplies David Allen recommends. For instance, having a label maker would be a convenience and would save time. However, if costs are a concern, you can manage without a label maker, and when you need labels, you can print them from a printer or hand print them.

To print labels legibly by hand, it helps a lot to slow down, take a deep breath, and take your time. A good marker or pen makes a big difference. One pen I use for dark legible lines is a black Sakura Pigma Graphic 1.0 mm pen. Here is a link to the Sakura pen:

When I had a laser printer, I used Avery 2181 file folder labels. These are long, narrow, half-letter size sheets of labels. These Avery file folder labels are about 3.4 inches wide x 0.66 inches high, and they fit on manila file folders with 1/3 cut tabs. I had more options than a label maker usually offers because I was printing them from MS Word, which has lots of font choices. I think these labels were a lot less expensive than label-maker tape, and they looked very legible and neat. It was easy to print them from the auxilliary paper tray without removing paper from the main tray. However, I think a label-maker is faster and more convenient because an organizing coach I knew highly recommended using one. Here is a link to these Avery labels:

Thats all for now.

Best wishes, @TimBourne

Emily Polifax

"However, "scotch tape" has become a generic name in the U.S. for any invisible or transparent tape that sticks, so it is not a special kind of tape from the U.S." Yeah - that's what my mother claimed that is US only, but told her that it is a brand.
In the U.K. Sellotape (transparent tape) is popular brand - Can I just order this instead?

"ait to buy tape until you do have a use in mind for tape. This would save money on office supplies." Yeah but what other supplies would help myself?

"rolls of tape you now have lack stickiness, which is an essential feature of tape, you could buy one roll of normally sticky tape now," it was just the 1 tape shown in picture transparent sellotape which said that for - probably because its old? True I could get a new one right now or later?

"also buy one tape dispenser for that roll. " yeah I would have to get the right sized dispenser, searched about that a bit...

Never herd of invisible tape.

I had searched "label maker" into net - comes up results different machines?

Not so long ago - was sorting through all my pens in room, trying to categorise them a certain amount.

I mean clicked open the hyper links you shared:
The one of tape dispenser is too small for any tape have right now.

P.S. thought came to mind I bought a while ago and still have "sticky labels" cheap from amazon - type of paper labels which have a stick side also (about 3x5cm maybe 20 on a sheet you can peel off)

I think yea right now I'm just - can do labels by hand? Don't use labelling that much, but these sticky labels aren't best quality. For example they may peel off (what stick them on after maybe few days) (which is why I put Sellotape on them also - so its worth I get better new Sellotape?)

I scanned over your writing maybe three times now.
Thanks for the detailed reply to this thread, clarifying things about adhesive tape. l'

RuthMcT

Registered
Just to confirm Sellotape is the main brand in the UK, but you can also get 3M's Scotch tape. Both are good quality. Shops like WHSmith also sell their own brands. I usually get Sellotape or Scotch tape, whichever is the cheapest and fits my dispenser. I don't trust own brands as they are often thin and tear easily, or don't stick very well. I've just been googling for large tape dispensers in the Uk, and there are hardly any available. Ryman's stationers has one - see https://www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-tape-dispenser-large . There are probably some on Amazon UK, but I try to avoid Amazon where possible. Lots of places sell the smaller sized sellotape ready fitted in a disposable dispenser. Unless you use lots and lots of sellotape the smaller roll should be enough. Mine lasts for ages - I mostly use it when I'm making a parcel to post.

Just to confirm Sellotape is the main brand in the UK, but you can also get 3M's Scotch tape. Both are good quality. Shops like WHSmith also sell their own brands. I usually get Sellotape or Scotch tape, whichever is the cheapest and fits my dispenser. I don't trust own brands as they are often thin and tear easily, or don't stick very well. I've just been googling for large tape dispensers in the Uk, and there are hardly any available. Ryman's stationers has one - see https://www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-tape-dispenser-large . There are probably some on Amazon UK, but I try to avoid Amazon where possible. Lots of places sell the smaller sized sellotape ready fitted in a disposable dispenser. Unless you use lots and lots of sellotape the smaller roll should be enough. Mine lasts for ages - I mostly use it when I'm making a parcel to post.
ITM and also @m
You're welcome, @TimBourne!

*"see there is option this fourm - double quote (or more than one quote in a thread - never used before*

words were I didn't get notified of these posts

Ruth here gives suggestion of Rayman brand - never herd of that, says link was out of stock

1709581086290.png1 one
431064511_1484177189144232_8176054220391001609_n.jpg
431081887_1484177159144235_238976424927614534_n.jpg
431177630_1484177119144239_1433366286418587301_n.jpg

I had thought updating this thread drag and dropping pictures

explaining literally I obtained from shop I work at - type of ne Sellotape role - cheap good quality, local just one pound

* 1 = side showing offical brand sellotape image, below showing (what wrote about in previous post - about trying using sellotape

Picture after that shows type normal sellotape compared to offical brand new version

the final picture above - shows type line of selopate (hanging from desk - a bad habit that just left a strand...

1709581398151.png
1709581407303.png

These next 2 images: show also what writing about in previous thread (that one of uses for this tape: is to put on these type cheapo "sticky labels" I got lots from amazon (because lost stickiness, don't work)... - showing myself trying label type pencil cases in bedroom (but still came off because of problem of Sellotape I was having

here quote from e-mail wrote to mother "
next actions for tape
Are you sure that Poundland should - have type of dispenser used for normal sized Sellotape? is it something which is shown on website? - if wanted to do look at in shop should measure it and see it matches to regular tape size you think?
IWA think - with two other sellotapes which don't work don't work so well well at all put downstairs in cupboard , it could also be worth donate them since "

STN SV

P.S. background thoughts which came back to myself , while previewing this post

I'm using this as a memento/cue that investing more in sellotape links to an action: using sellotape to try to pack/package types items - on online auction websites such as e-bay - which is something myself having Voice thoughts I should do more off to be better financially and help mother earth etc

That I recently since moving - tried using facebook market place list items locally for selling online and doesn't seem work so well, so maybe go back to e-bay ???

Because thats a use for tape/Sellotape which occurred to myself

" idea/question : what other uses for Sellotape are there

"NA when x responds could be adding more tags to this post such as charity/ethics and packaging/sellingonline

"STN x3