Creative Questioning

spencerw3

Registered
If you haven't checked out this interview, you should. GREAT perspective on "bad work," "good work," and "great work." Really resonated with me at all altitudes of GTD. I had been aware of Michael and Box of Crayons, but hadn't engaged yet. I was happy to see Michael on Connect--instant credibility. Have you listened, and what did you think?

P

pkenyon

Good vs. Great

It has been a few weeks since I listened to these clips with Michael and I am still chewing on the Good vs. Great conversation. Since that time I have been in a serious gutcheck mode about the ways my work is directed and toward which ends. This is a very valuable conversation indeed.

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
There's a lot more here than will meet the eye..

Yeah, I'm delighted to have Michael in our camp. His pithy but profound reductionistic questions have infinite value, appropriately applied. I'm curious as to who/who/in what way people respond in this somewhat casual conversation forum to such intimate triggers.

Would love to hear from any of you how you are responding to these types of expressions on Connect... - David

N

namaste

Ways the Bad/Good/Great matrix has affected me

I haven't fully implemented the ideas, but I found the concepts presented very useful. It has caused me to think about areas in my work and life that I need to let go of so that other things can come into being. For me the press of day to day stuff makes that difficult to think about, and the Bad/Good/Great matrix is a handy tool that allows possiblity of all sorts to come into play. Very easy to use. Thanks.

jtabbi

Registered
Clarify the reference to Micheal's book please...

There are a few references to "Micheal's book" called "Unstuck." The only reference to an "Unstuck" I can find at BN is by Keith Yamashita, Sandra Spataroskip. Please clarify...

Thanks,
James

jtabbi

Registered
Just found his website. Ignore last message [EOM]

Just found his website. Ignore last message [EOM]

GTDmw

Registered
Language for describing Good and Great

I just finished listening to the Creative Questioning podcast. I connected with the three categories: bad work, good work and great work.

Over the past 24 months I've done some work with my team to help them "discover their strengths" as defined in the book Now, Discover Your Strengths (NDYS).

I think this fits in with the conversation of Bad, Good and Great work. I would suggest using the following definitions:

. Bad work = I am in a job where I do not get to use my strengths
. Good work = I use some of my strengths some of the time
. Great work = I use strengths a majority of the time.

The NYDS book creates a language to help you understand and describe your strengths to yourself and others. Once you can *name* your strengths you can see them at work. What was once hard to describe can now be pin pointed. This leaves one question "how can I use this strength in more ways to manifest postive outcomes for this world (the world, my work, my home life, etc/). I can speak from experience that my ability to name and understand my strengths has allowed me to use them more. I challenge myself and others to find the end of the strength. How far can you take it? When you are using a strength you have a lot of runway left. When you are not, it is harder.

The other part of understanding the Strength language is that it allows you to honor the Strengths of others. I had my wife read the book and find her strength themes. I can now honor her by understanding her and feeding her strengths.

I love the "make it up, and make it happen" part of GTD. Once you learn a truth about yourself it is your choice on what to do next.

For reference: The name of the book is Now, Discover Your Stregths. Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Discover-Your...=pd_bbs_1/102-3741429-5374567?ie=UTF8&s=books

I hope this adds to the discussion.

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
Your strengths are the key, I agree

My working hypothesis is that we're all here with a unique gift to bring into the world. The more we uncover what that is, acknowledge and accept it, the more magnificent our experience. Any and every book, tool, aha!, crutch, and weird and wonderful support mechanisms we can utilize in that regard are priceless. - David