David Allen and Dave Edwards on various topics

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
In another David Allen and Dave Edwards talk, David starts by asking Dave about his time at NPR and the current state of journalism. Then they move into a brief discussion of managing versus leading.

Moving on to GTD, Dave asks David whether he does a larger than usual review at the beginning of the year, and David replies about what times of year and events in life prompt what kinds of reviewing. Dave says that moving every two years is a good way to limit how much stuff you keep. David jokes that moving onto a sailboat is a great way to decide which stuff you want to keep. (David did in fact live on a sailboat years ago.)

They consider what types of reference materials get filed as paper or digital files, and how much reference material is too much. The answer is have as much as you want, as long as you don't have attention on whether there's still some action to take on anything in reference.

They talk about having the freedom to delete tasks from your lists, or move them to Someday/Maybe.

Finally, Dave asks David a question about how many next actions to specify for a project.

Video

Audio

schmeggahead

Registered
Really enjoyed this chat today.
Dave and David are great at bringing out nuances of the practice.

For me, watching Dave ask David a question, it's like West asking and East is responding.

Having taught a martial art, this situation is what happens in almost every class. Nearly everyone wants to know exactly how to do it absolutely correctly.

I'm reminded of Meg Edwards saying, "No rights or wrongs here."

Dave's question about projects from the forum is phrased very western; it felt something like asking what the proper way to do something to get the most value.

David's answer was very eastern; How you measure an activity's effectiveness is not based upon an arbitrary measure, but based upon whether it is off of your mind, a very general result.

It maps directly to the measure of when I do a Tai Chi set: do I feel better after than I felt before I did the set or practice. If the answer is yes, that is a very good way for me to have done that set at that time.

When I plan GTD projects, outcome first, discovering a next action and it's context and visualization come next and then I do a brain dump about the project on the project sheet, usually. Sometimes I will have a next action with a semicolon in it with what follows next. Depends upon what gets it off of my mind.

Enjoyed Dave's description of leadership and looking forward to his book.
Clayton

Dave Edwards

Registered
Really enjoyed this chat today.
Dave and David are great at bringing out nuances of the practice.

For me, watching Dave ask David a question, it's like West asking and East is responding.

Having taught a martial art, this situation is what happens in almost every class. Nearly everyone wants to know exactly how to do it absolutely correctly.

I'm reminded of Meg Edwards saying, "No rights or wrongs here."

Dave's question about projects from the forum is phrased very western; it felt something like asking what the proper way to do something to get the most value.

David's answer was very eastern; How you measure an activity's effectiveness is not based upon an arbitrary measure, but based upon whether it is off of your mind, a very general result.

It maps directly to the measure of when I do a Tai Chi set: do I feel better after than I felt before I did the set or practice. If the answer is yes, that is a very good way for me to have done that set at that time.

When I plan GTD projects, outcome first, discovering a next action and it's context and visualization come next and then I do a brain dump about the project on the project sheet, usually. Sometimes I will have a next action with a semicolon in it with what follows next. Depends upon what gets it off of my mind.

Enjoyed Dave's description of leadership and looking forward to his book.
Clayton
Clayton,
I never thought of it like that before. Great analogy. I’m glad you enjoyed the video.
Dave
www.DaveEdwardsMedia.com