• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

David Allen and MindManager

I've watched the Mindjet webinar that features DA and had a question about how people know/think David uses mind maps, or how they do themselves.

I saw that David does much of his project planning/thinking in mind maps. How then does he use those to populate his NA lists? Does he pick things from the maps and link those to Outlook as NAs? Does he simply review the map every week and decide what the NA should be?

I find myself thinking well using mind maps and want to utilize them in my system. I am aware of ResultsManager, but it's a bit steep for my taste, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Thanks!

Kevin
 
DavidCo is a Notes-based company

In his seminars, David shows his lists, e-mail structure, and calendar in Lotus Notes. He is not an Outlook user.

I am however and can tell you that the integration between MindManager and Outlook makes it very easy to create a synchronized state between your map and your Outlook calendar, tasks, and contacts if you construct the map using the Outlook components in MindManager.

ResultsManager is a great tool if you are comfortable making the map environment your "dashboard". I found after using it extensively that it was additional work that did not return enough benefit for me as I "live" in Outlook and run my entire day from it.

HTH,
Marc
 
A good question. The connection between a planning tool (like a mindmapper or project program) and your action tracking system depends on the tools, but I'd say the basic idea is to regularly "activate" actions by transferring them from the tool to your system (e.g., Outlook's tasks), usually regularly, for example every week. This is where the rubber meets the road, if you will.

Good question!
 
I use NovaMind for brainstorming etc. Once completed (the map) can be exported to an outliner program like Omni Outliner.
 
Are you a NetCentrics user

mochant;47085 said:
ResultsManager is a great tool if you are comfortable making the map environment your "dashboard". I found after using it extensively that it was additional work that did not return enough benefit for me as I "live" in Outlook and run my entire day from it.

HTH,
Marc

I too live in Outlook. Marc, do you use the NetCentrics Add-In since you live in Outlook?
 
Top