David Allen and the Kindle

Barb

Registered
I was pleased to see that David finally took the leap and bought an Amazon Kindle. I've had mine since the end of January and now I only read books available for the Kindle. DAVID: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR NEW BOOK IS ONE OF THEM! Also, as long as we are at it, with almost 900 blogs available, why isn't GTD Times? I floated that idea by Oliver months ago. He seemed to like it, but your clout with Amazon might make that happen.

As for your comments on getting into fiction again, I'd like to share my experience. For the past couple of years, I started reading again for fun. I used to have no interest, because I spent the entire day reading this and that and couldn't imagine doing it any longer than I had to. Then I read Steve Leveen's "The Little Guide to Your Well Read Life" and started making lists of books I wanted to read, as well as books I had read. What a great joy it has been! If nothing else, a way to lose yourself at the end of a hard day and live inside someone elses world for awhile!

So far this year, I've already read three times more books than all of last year--thanks to the Kindle. It's so easy on the eyes, portable, and simple to use that it eliminates any drag on me and, therefore, any resistance to reading. I love the built in dictionary too. I can't imagine actually picking up a traditional book again!

For those of you who may have put aside reading for pleasure: Try again. It's a much better way to feed your soul than watching t.v. will ever be!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hi Barb,

I spoke with Oliver, the editor for GTDTimes.com, and he said it's not for lack of trying that the GTDTimes blog is not on Kindle yet. It's been a slow process working this through Amazon's automated process and he's been working diligently on it since April.

So it's still in the works!

Kelly

Barb

Registered
David should call Jeff

Hey, if David himself got involved it would happen tomorrow! I know Oliver tried...but David is "the man" and he's got clout.

Barb

Registered
Jeff's phone number

Well, it has been awhile since Jeff and I have talked. But I bet if David sends a letter to the corporate office addressed to Jeff, he'll get it.

Might even get himself some Kindle freebies...just for getting a Kindle. He'll love it. If I dropped mine in the lake tomorrow, I'd get a new one overnighted to me!

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Pay for Blogs?

Do I understand it right that subscribing to an RSS feed of a blog carries a fee?

I'd appreciate anyone else weighing in how how they like or use their Kindle. It's on my Might Buy list but periodically lobbies to move onto a 10,000 foot project.

- Mark

Barb

Registered
Cost of blogs

Mark Jantzen;61398 said:
Do I understand it right that subscribing to an RSS feed of a blog carries a fee?

I'd appreciate anyone else weighing in how how they like or use their Kindle. It's on my Might Buy list but periodically lobbies to move onto a 10,000 foot project.

- Mark

You do pay a small fee to receive your blog through a Kindle (usually 99 cents). It is not the same as subscribing to an RSS feed. Presumeably, the cost covers the delivery through Amazon's wireless network. There is no cost to receive books, however, and no monthly wireless fees. You can get a 14-day free trial on any newspaper, magazine or blog. You can send yourself a full sample chapter of any book.

tgriffy

Registered
Using my Kindle . . .

Mark, like Barb I have come to really rely on my Kindle. I travel a lot, and it's nice to be able to have several books, the WSJ, various blogs and (yes) a copy of GTD always with me. You quickly become accustomed to reading on the Kindle, and even my wife (who is a bit of a lovely Luddite) uses hers regularly. Expensive, but a nice tool.

Carla Guarisco

Registered
David's 3rd Book will be on Kindle

Yes! Making It All Work will be available on Amazon Kindle. These arrangements are negotiated by David's publisher and not by us directly, so it is difficult for us to be able to provide a specific date for the release. Happy to post a confirmed date once the Kindle is available.

Barb;61315 said:
I was pleased to see that David finally took the leap and bought an Amazon Kindle. I've had mine since the end of January and now I only read books available for the Kindle. DAVID: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR NEW BOOK IS ONE OF THEM!

Take care,

Barb

Registered
Thanks

Whew! Thanks, Carla. I would have hated to miss it, but I made a promise to myself when I bought my Kindle last January that I wouldn't buy a book if it wasn't on Kindle. So far, I have not broken that promise....I have paid for the Kindle many times over. I read like a maniac!

Plus, I don't have to buy a bigger house just to hold all the books!

S

SarahB

Kindle Release Date is also December 30th

We have received confirmation from the publisher that the Kindle version of Making It All Work will be released the same day as the hardcover, December 30, 2008.

Barb

Registered
Kindle Pricing-what are you thinking?

Amazing! I look on the Amazon Kindle page to pre-order David's new book for the Kindle and the Kindle edition is THREE DOLLARS MORE THAN THE HARDBACK.

I don't know if you noticed, but virtually EVERY Kindle book is $9.99. I've seen just a few come in higher than that. After a week of two of ZERO SALES, the price comes down to what it should be.

So...I won't be reading this book on the Kindle or otherwise. Don't know if David has any control over this, but you're missing an opportunity to sell an awful lot more books. Even with the negative Publisher's Weekly review, I still would have read it if the price were right.

TesTeq

Registered
No control, no Kindle.

Barb;62543 said:
Don't know if David has any control over this, but you're missing an opportunity to sell an awful lot more books.

I do not think that David has any control over the publisher's pricing policy. :-(

There is no missed opportunity in the worldwide sales since Amazon is not kind(le) enough to allow foreigners to use Kindle. :-(

bertplat

Registered
How 'bout Mobipocket?

... or similar ebook formats? Here in the Netherlands we can't get the Kindle, but I've got a Cybook Gen3 with Getting Things Done and Ready for Anything on it and it'd be great to get his latest work without having to leave my comfy home. Tis the dark season, after all.

Giganti

Registered
Kindl vs Sony

Hi...Bruce Somers and David talked about the ebook reader on a recent connect interview...I'm in the market for one of them and I'm curious to see if anyone has used both and why one over the other. Thanks for any feedback.

sdann

Registered
bertplat;62629 said:
... or similar ebook formats? Here in the Netherlands we can't get the Kindle, but I've got a Cybook Gen3 with Getting Things Done and Ready for Anything on it and it'd be great to get his latest work without having to leave my comfy home. Tis the dark season, after all.

You could try ebooks.com. They have the GTD book in adobe and microsoft reader format. They don't have Making It All Work listed yet, so I don't know if they will have any other electronic versions.

bertplat

Registered
sdann;62675 said:
You could try ebooks.com. They have the GTD book in adobe and microsoft reader format. They don't have Making It All Work listed yet, so I don't know if they will have any other electronic versions.

I usually shop at Fictionwise.com, but they haven't got Making It All Work listed either. So I'm kinda concerned.

bertplat

Registered
My experiences...

Giganti;62641 said:
Hi...Bruce Somers and David talked about the ebook reader on a recent connect interview...I'm in the market for one of them and I'm curious to see if anyone has used both and why one over the other. Thanks for any feedback.

As I'm in the Netherlands, the Kindle (unfortunately) wasn't an option for me. My choices were between the Iliad iRex, which is kinda expensive, and the Bookeen Cybook, which was rather cheaper. The iRex allows for note taking, the Cybook doesn't, but I don't write in books either way: for notes I've got a notepad.

So how do I like the Cybook? Very, very much. What I like very much about it is how many books I can take with me anywhere. The Cybook is very light, yet I've got about 36 books in it, including War and Peace, a fair amount of light reading (Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse) and quite a bit of non fiction (Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, both David's books, Farewell My Subaru, amongst others), and a number of classics I've always meant to read.

Reading is a very pleasant experience, at least as good as paper (even outside). In bed I can enlarge the font so I can turn down the light and not disturb my wife. There's no backlight, but, on the upside, I have to charge only about once every 3 weeks or so with about 2 hours reading time daily.

I especially like the fact I can buy books online and have them available instantly. I live out in the sticks and usually buy books only when I'm in the big city. Buying books online works as well, but then you have to wait until they're delivered.

A good resource if you're in the market for an eBook is the Which one should I buy? forum over at mobileread.com. Please be aware that one thing you'll learn is that there's no such thing as a perfect eBook reader...

Hope this helps!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Pricing, and praise for that pun

TesTeq;62545 said:
I do not think that David has any control over the publisher's pricing policy. :-(

There is no missed opportunity in the worldwide sales since Amazon is not kind(le) enough to allow foreigners to use Kindle. :-(

--------------------

TesTeq -- you're right. The pricing and the date of publication are up to the publisher. If I can get any more explanation from them, I'll post it here. Also, I enjoyed your kind(le) pun. If you're doing that in English, I can only imagine what you do in Polish!