David Allen on how to feel good about what you're not doing

jerendeb

Registered
Over 10 years now since I let GTD go. There was no good reason but a sketchy excuse, "my job changed and the chaos was so overwhelming that I didn't have time to write anything down much less use a calendar"! What's illogical is that I started GTD in and around 2000-2011 and I let it go!?
Well, I got on the GTD bandwagon about a month ago and 'refuled' my life. I have one major relief, I am fully retired. But I am still in need of tracking all the details of things to do and be done. And they aren't all doctor appointments! But as you, David, have reiterated many times, I now know what I am not doing right now. And that is the first freedom I experienced. After that, was a feeling of control, not an illusion of chaos. I am embracing my tools and my style. I am a good student of yours teacher! Thanks for all of your dedication to assist and share with others who really want it. Gazillions of people need this, especially our future adults. For what its worth GOOGLE CALENDAR, TASKS, KEEP, DOCS, DRIVE, RECORDER & SHEETS work for me. I also really like journaling as well. Both digital & paper.

Shady Waxwing

Registered
Over 10 years now since I let GTD go. There was no good reason but a sketchy excuse, "my job changed and the chaos was so overwhelming"
How often in my life I have reflexively done the opposite of what will help.

In the case of GTD, we are not taught this stuff as kids or adults unless we seek it out. We're taught the opposite. Work harder, work faster, get organized. But until GTD, we're not taught how to organize our lives at the ground level, or how to make sure the hard work furthers what matters most to us.

schmeggahead

Registered
I recently added a bunch of tasks to my calendar to reserve the time in the upcoming week to move some unmoving projects forward.

I put them there and realized they are not the hard landscape of my week. I'm cheating sort of.

Then, when David expressed option 3 about renegotiating agreements, I realized that if they don't fit in those time periods, I can reschedule them quite easily to a better time based upon the new information about the day.

Thanks,
Clayton.

A renegotiated agreement is not a broken agreement.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I recently added a bunch of tasks to my calendar to reserve the time in the upcoming week to move some unmoving projects forward.

I put them there and realized they are not the hard landscape of my week. I'm cheating sort of.

Then, when David expressed option 3 about renegotiating agreements, I realized that if they don't fit in those time periods, I can reschedule them quite easily to a better time based upon the new information about the day.

Thanks,
Clayton.

A renegotiated agreement is not a broken agreement.
I really like this, Clayton! Sometimes, we have to "cheat" like this to help us focus on commitments that are important to us NOW.