Dealing with ever-evolving projects

Lamb918

Registered
I've been really struggling with maintaining my system at work since I took on a new role 1.5 years ago.

The main issue is that projects and outcomes are constantly shifting based on the whims of the people around me and I can't always keep up, or I just don't have the power to truly identify projects and next actions. I know this is an issue with the general work culture, but I'm trying to wrap my head around how to deal with it in the now.

As an example: A big part of my job is preparing for biweekly meetings with a large group of leaders. "Prep for meeting on 5/17" is on my project list, which can be too vague because there's a million moving pieces that, again, are always changing. So I'll come up with a plan for that meeting, and have all my next actions or steps in project plans, but then that lasts about 2 days before we hear that this Chief wants to do something completely different or this Chief and that Chief don't agree and we need to wait or rework or this other thing happened that thwarts it all and everything gets scrapped.

My system worked pretty well when I had clear defined outcomes and projects and could identify the next best step for me, but now it's like I'll put in this work to try to get organized and five minutes later it's all up in the air again and I have to start over.

Is there a good way to handle this constant state of flux? Can I get clear enough somehow while still leaving room for things to inevitably shift?

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I think a strong part of GTD is not doing too much planning - just enough to move projects forward. So if you only have one next action for your project "Prep for meeting on 5/17", this will allow you to pivot as necessary with constant changes due to new input. This is everyone's world now in 2022 - things change rapidly. But this is where GTD shines - you can accomodate change without becoming unglued.

There may also be an underlying problem with your hierarchy in terms of making commitments and allowing their people not to work in a constant state of chaos. This is a discussion with leaders in your work and to see if some of this constant changing is due to just because that is the way your work is or is it due to poor leadership skills.

Please keep us posted.

mcogilvie

Registered
Do things settle a short time before the meetings? Are you ready for them? If things settle and you are ready, a possible solution is to shorten your planning timeline. If things don’t settle, don’t prepare for them. An alternative is to declare x days before the meeting that this list of topics will be on the agenda unless prompt notice is given. BTW, responsibility for the agenda always lies with the meeting chair.

schmeggahead

Registered
A big part of my job is preparing for biweekly meetings with a large group of leaders.
When I facilitated meetings with leaders from multiple areas together, I asked to attend each of those leader's meetings with their teams. They usually occurred on a slightly more frequent basis. These siloed meetings tended to give me early warnings about topic changes and additional insight into simplifying the preparation for the larger group meeting.

It helped facilitate relationships with each leader's direct reports to understand what I needed for the larger meeting topics. The people reporting to these leaders would give me heads up on changes and assist in making a quick change to the docket and materials.

It may make sense to re-affirm your role for this meeting with your direct boss who delegated the responsibility to you. Suggest guideposts for bringing useful information and reducing wasted effort. You may still have a lot of "wasted" effort that is really avoiding loss of opportunity - there is a bigger downside to missing preparation & needing it, than doing it & not needing it. Your time is investment in reducing opportunity costs.

Every situation is unique. I hope my solutions help in some small way.
You know the situation best.
Clayton.