• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Deleting completed tasks

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Guest
How can I tell Outlook to delete a completed task? Ideally I would like this to happen, say, a week after I have checked off the completed box. I know through the AutoArcheive function it can move or delete items older than X, but I'm not sure if that's what I want.
 
I find it best to delete them manually during the weekly review. This gives you a chance to review them before you delete them and serves as a reminder of possible loops you have left open. I may be able to help you, but first, why would you want to delete them without first reviewing them?
 
Ricky -

Thanks for your comments. I typically don't review an item after I mark it completed. If a task is done it's done. I do agree with you that a final review of a project is necessary before I show that as completed (i.e., any open loops).

- Woody
 
Well, we could write a fancy macro or somehting but here is a more simple solution: Create a view to show only completed items. When you are ready to purge, co a CTRL-A to Select All and then hit Delete.

I still think that you will be doing yourself a dis-service to not do a quick review of them first, however. Not all Next Actions will be part of a project that you review and you may be surprised at what a single completed next action may bring to remembrance.
 
Top