• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Differences between OneNote Versions

AFG

Registered
I'm a longtime OneNote user, and am trying to reboot my GTD practice into OneNote.

But... there are several different versions of OneNote, with different levels of feature support:

+ The old mainstay OneNote2016 desktop on Windows (and from Office365)

+ The newer OneNote tablet app on Windows 10

(https://www.pcworld.com/article/326...6-in-favor-of-the-windows-10-onenote-app.html)

+ the Mac OneNote app

+ the OneNote app on iPhone (including Send-To OneNote)

+ the OneNote app on iPads

+ I would not be surprised to find that Android OneNote differs still more.

For example - I started using custom tags to create GTD next action context lists, like @Work, @Home. But AFAICT these custom tags are only available on the main OneNote2016. They are not available on iPhone OneNote, or on the Win10 OneNote app.

I can't remember in what ways OneNote for Mac fell short, but it was bad enough that I installed the Parallels virtual machine manager to run Mac > Windows > OneNote2016.

Q: has anyone mapped out a common subsets of features that can be used on the different OneNotes?

Not just "here is what you should use", as in the implementation guides. But also "Don't use customized tags, if you want to use on versions other than OneNote2016".

I don't NEED to use OneNote on more than 2 platforms at any one time - currently my Win10 PC SurfBook, and my iPhone. But even here the differences are annoying.

BTW, I am probably going to keep using customized tags in OneNote2016, in the hopes that some near future release of the OneNote app for Win10 will add them. If not, I will have to revert to manually creating lists.
 
Top