Discovering GTD

S

SteadyEdd

I was reflecting on how I came upon GTD and wondered if anyone else would like to share their discovery stories.

I was introduced to GTD via an email newsletter from MindJet about their MindMapper product. There was an offer to download a sample chapter and link to Amazon UK. I read the chapter and ordered the book late last year. I started on some of the principles before i finished the book and haven't looked back. It's made such a difference to my work environment. Thanks.

S

spectecGTD

For me it was an article by Jim Fallows in Atlantic Monthly in Spring 2003. There are one or two strings on this BB about the article, and I know there were a number of people who discovered GTD by reading it, as well as a few who discovered the Atlantic.

The article was so intruging that I bought the book the next morning and by the end of that day I had ordered the FAST cd's. It changed the way I organize my entire life and I haven't looked back since, althoug I am still struggling to integrete GTD to the extent I want.

M

Marten Gaans

In my case it was a lucky coincidence of having it seen being mentioned in a blog (without giving it further notice), a friend showing me the main diagram the very same evening and my lokal bookstore not having it available so I had to order it (I'd never bought it if I had a chance to quickly peek in. The german book-cover is terrible and the title not catchy at all). The day my book arrived my notebook broke so I had an unwanted timeframe of a whole week (I'm freelancing and need it for almost everything) to work my way through thoroughly. Ever since I'm hooked ;)

tulipcowgirl

Registered
I found out about GTD and David Allen on www.organizedhome.com. The ladies there were reading Getting Things Done and doing a book discussion via their message board. I was so intrigued by the discussions and knew this was what I was looking for.

A

ADD GTDer

Discovering GTD

Through pure luck I came across it randomly browsing Amazon.com. Saw the rave reviews and decided people must be onto something! Like others, I've been hooked ever since.

P

PDAJunky

I had been reading a number of books/web articles about time management. I was not content with my system due to the fact that my work as a senior pastor was expanding, with added denominational responsibilities damanding more and better management of my schedule and work. I found David's book one afternoon, read part of the first chapter and bought it. It's been a journey of fresh discovery and renewed commitment to Getting Things Done.

A

aplumb

Cool Tools

This entry in Kevin Kelly's Cool Tools blog. I discovered Tony Buzan's mind-mapping concepts a couple of years back, so when I saw it mentioned in a personal organization context, coupled with the "stress-free productivity" concept, I picked up the book.

Saw David Allen mentioned in a newsletter by Laura Stack in 2002, started lurking at this forum at the beginning of 2003 and bought the book (English version) in summer of 2003.

Rainer

TPorter2

Registered
I read an article about David in Fast Company magazine maybe 4-5 years ago. Went to the website, and have been hooked ever since...

J

jjvornov

Damaged Book

I was browsing in a bookstore that sold remainders and damaged books and came across GTD. The dustcover had a small rip in it. It looked interesting but I never thought it would turn out to be so important to me.

S

SteadyEdd

Isn't it amazing how many of us happened upon GTD by chance?

moises

Registered
I receive a free email newsletter from Dr. Joseph Mercola. I've tried a number of things he has recommended in the past and none of them were of any value to me at all. He once raved about some Brian Tracy book. I had never heard of Brian Tracy. I bought the book and it added nothing to my life.

Mercola spoke highly of GTD. I went into GTD totally jaded. I felt I didn't have much to lose, but the odds of my gaining much from another self-help book were quite low.

I feel forever indebted to Dr. Joseph Mercola for turning me on to GTD. GTD has truly transformed my life. If I can get one nugget every two years from mercola.com that is as valuable as GTD has been, then I will be quite fortunate.

There have been past discussions about what it is that distinguishes those people (like me) for whom GTD is a godsend, and those who get nothing out of it. I don't think anyone has come up with a truly satisfactory answer. I am just grateful that Mercola was able to grasp the genius of GTD and that he shared GTD with his millions of subscribers.

That said, GTD cannot accomplish miracles. Personally, my life still has a lot of stress. There is no formula for making the right decisions and doing the right things. GTD is not a formula for success. GTD is a technique, like Mindmaps or Gantt Charts for flow charts. GTD is an enormously effective technique. But the user has to be smart enough to recognize that GTD will not do the work for her, GTD will not make the decision for her, and GTD will not get her out of a jam. GTD is a structure--and enormously powerful and effective structure--for doing, deciding, and creating. I like to think that as Arabic numerals were to Roman numerals, so GTD is to traditional planning. Arabic numerals don't eliminate errors, they just reduce them relative to Roman numerals.

G

goeth

I read about David & GTD in FastCompany in 2000, just prior to the release of David's first book. When the book was released, I purchased it immediately.

One of my favorite sayings is that "both golf and bowling are sports you can play all your life, and never get better at them"... and so it goes with GTD. I have played around with the concepts, tools, tips, tricks, etc. I have all the books, articles, bookmarked blogs, etc. Did you notice what was missing?? The weekly review done consistently! Go ahead, ignore it. GTD won't live up to its' billing. Keep playing with software solutions. GTD won't live up to its' billing. Get it? Well, as soon as I tweak my "places" in LifeBalance I'll do my weekly review :)

A

Arcticgoblin

It was mentioned in an article I read on how to use ShadowPlan (a Palm application) to "Organize Your Life".

Shortly after reading it I googled GtD, and from that point on, there was no turning back. :p

kglade

Registered
I saw something about GTD while seaching the internet for outlook enhancements. I think it was on www.slipstick.com. I bought the book, and right away bought the add-in since I didn't have any time to spend setting up outlook myself.

bdavidson

Registered
Back in April 2002, I was perusing PalmGear.com for updated software titles and saw something called Life Balance that has been recently updated. I was intrigued by the software, as I had just become the father of twin boys, and life balance was an issue was struggling with.

I Googled Life Balance and found a link to this article by Michael Connick that had a lot of cool references to GTD. Until then, I had never found a meaningful way to manage tasks on my PDA (I'm now an iPAQ user), and I have yet to find a better way to manage tasks.

Unfortunately, in those (almost) three years, I've probably done less than a dozen weekly reviews. :oops:

Brian

P.S. I never bothered with Life Balance, as David's PDA setup guide was more than enough!

P

pmikulak

I picked up GTD on audible.com. It is still one of Audible's all time best sellers.

T

tubaism

Discovering GTD

I discovered David Allen back in the pre-GTD days when his program was called Managing Actions & Projects. I was a Palm user looking for tips and tricks for my handheld and found David's website via those search terms.

Popeye

Registered
I Googled Life Balance and found a link to this article by Michael Connick that had a lot of cool references to GTD. Until then, I had never found a meaningful way to manage tasks on my PDA (I'm now an iPAQ user), and I have yet to find a better way to manage tasks.

Well, here's the same thing, but different year....

http://www.computingunplugged.com/issues/issue200501/00001446001.html

LifeBalance can help some people, other like the plain vanila setup. There are those who go with paperagendas...

What I´m saying is that there are many roads to Rome...

It´s not how and in what way you getting organized that matters... the core in David's principles is to getting organized... in a way that suits you and with a system that you can trust.

I was "PDA" before, with LifeBalance and before LB there was the plain vanila setup... now I'm laying my eyes on my paperagenda again... that thing feels so... Basic? Plain?...

Well it feels reliable and safe.. no batterys to charge, no dataloss, no misspellt word to correct 'cause that Graffiti can't read my writing!!!
It's easy to jot down quick notes etc, you get a very quick glance of the weeks all to do's etc.. but this is my way to getting organized...

ceehjay

Registered
I am a Barnes & Noble University junkie. I saw Getting Things Done on the list of Life Improvement classes in April 2002. I bought the book, took the class, subscribed to the newsletter, and never looked back. I think I have taken the class 5 times now, and I learn something new each time. Yes, it did improve my life. If you haven't taken the class, scan the class offerings every month. It will probably be back in the future.

Carolyn