Do I need the Outlook add-in?

I would consider myself an advanced to expert Outlook user. I work in IT and have relied upon Outlook for about 5 years now.

I'm just getting started on GTD and plan on purchasing the Workflow processing using Outlook manual. Once I get the manual and configure Outlook according to the manuals' specifications, what additional functionality will the add-in provide that the manual alone doesn't?

Thanks

Jason

kglade

Registered
The add-in provides the automation, sets up some custom views, and adds custom fields to outlook. Nothing you probably couldn't do yourself except that 1) it takes time and 2) the map of fields, views and automation is not provided in the Workflow processing document.

ext555

Registered
Don't buy the oulook doc if you're buying the add in

It's included in the add-in in the help section.

buy the add in (yes you could do all this yourself if you know how) but NetCentrics did a very good implementation of the methodology into outlook. IMO

Paul

ext555

Registered
I guess not the help. --I think maybe it was in the download file --maybe the readme . I remember when I first installed it (when it first came out ) it was included somewhere.

Maybe they took it out with sp-1

ok--found this on the netcentrics site faq:

What is the difference between the Getting Things Done Outlook Add-In and The Implementing David Allen's Workflow Processing Using Microsoft Outlook document?
Article Number: FAQ0004
Article Text: The Getting Things Done Outlook Add-In automates the methods described in the Implementing David Allen's Workflow Processing Using Microsoft Outlook document and provides many additional features, such as the ability to work with projects, linking emails to next actions or calendar items, sharing project and actions lists, putting reminders on filed items, and much more.

The Implementing David Allen's Workflow Processing Using Microsoft Outlook document is included in the Getting Things Done Outlook Add-In help file under Delving Deeper. It has been edited to remove the sections pertaining to things that are automatically done in the Add-In (setting up views, for example) and enhanced in some areas to describe how to use additional information provided by the Add-In.

ddewees

Registered
When purchasing the Outlook add-in. If you select the download only option will you be able to download a 2nd copy for a 2nd pc or should I purchase the cd version to install on 2 pcs?

Dave