Does anyone else find the GTD experience on Apple devices superior to Windows/Android devices?

maritime

Registered
I implemented GTD on Apple, Windows, and Android platforms. I found that using the apps on Apple devices (Things, Airmail, Keyboard Maestro, Hazel,Fantastical,Drafts, etc.) made the experience VASTLY better, smoother, and efficient. I never really "got" GTD until I used Mac/iOS for my productivity workflow. It seems like the apps on Mac/iOS are head and shoulders above all other platforms. Anyone have a similar experience?

Last edited:

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I often times envy Mac users for some applications and tools (haven't been using Mac for quite some years), but the way I approach GTD is really not that dependent on a tool or a platform. I recently made a discovery in Asana that helped greatly in how I deal with projects, so to some extent I have a couple of "demands" for the system I use - but I try as much as I can to focus on the methodology. So if Asana was taken down today, I like to think that I fairly quickly could switch to another system!

FocusGuy

Registered
I will just speak as an apple user. I haven't use android or Windows devices for years !
I dont think GTD depends on a platform or any tools. Gtd can be even on paper and it works well. Anyway, apple devices has some great tools for it. Omnifocus or things for example depending on your needs, apple note and reminders (or not). What is great with apple devices is that everything is easely sync, so you can eitheir have it on Mac or on your iphone or even on your ipad... Apple has also a beautifull design. It is also important when you work hours on a software. Personally I use Omnifocus. It is an amazing software it is not the most beautifull I saw (things is much better for this) but it does the job perfectly and on a certain way it has for me a PC spirit.

mcogilvie

Registered
Cheap shots aside, the big players (Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft) all position themselves based on their understanding of what their role is. Some execute better than others, but that is tied to role in the market. The software produced for different platforms doesn’t really have anything to do with GTD in particular. Crudely, Apple has the best apps produced for their platforms because they are focused on consumers with disposable income, whereas Microsoft is business-focused. The only exception may be Facebook, which has not succeeded as a platform company in the way the others have. Their recent emphasis on virtual/augmented reality is a play to become a major platform company.

schmeggahead

Registered
Crudely, Apple has the best apps produced for their platforms because they are focused on consumers with disposable income, whereas Microsoft is business-focused.
This is an interesting (and accurate) observation that explains why many in professional positions end up challenged to integrate their work and home GTD systems. When working all day on technology, many want to come home to something that just works. Historically, they are the ones with disposable incomes.

Clayton
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple ... and wrong. - Somebody

Ger80C

Registered
To be honest, I personally simply don't care (but can understand that other people do! :) )
. The tool is not important. Don't get me wrong, I can sit there and feel happy about the tool and the Mac (which I use) or Windows (which I also use) or any cross-plattofrm open source tool like Emacs or Obsidian (which I both adore) for hours - but then I am not productive. IF my implementation of GTD works AND my system is up to date, the tool fades away and I could very well work in a MS DOS text editor on a 286 PC without any hassle. And for a long time I used paper. :)

TesTeq

Registered
Apple has the best apps produced for their platforms because they are focused on consumers with disposable income,
@mcogilvie As a user of a strange language (Polish) I must tell you that the apps are beautiful but each MacOS update/upgrade is a frightening experience. After such event I am always checking if Polish spell-checker still works. Often it works but sometimes it doesn't and you have to create a new fake user to reset the system to a proper state. It's funny that this new fake user fixes other users.

Microsoft Windows has a much more robust international support.

Oogiem

Registered
I don't work in Microsoft at all. Been on Apple since 1984.

But on the Android vs iOS The reason I use iOS for myself is how easy it is to get things done and the apps.

The reason my LambTracker and AnimalTrakker mobile packages are only on the Android platform is due to the wide open system. Apple locks down bluetooth in a way that mkes it extremely expensive/impossible for a small developer to integrate unusual devices, like automatic weigh scales, EID tag readers, automatic sort gtes for cattle and sheep and so on. Also I need the SD card in the tablets and no Apple devices offer an SD card option.

mcogilvie

Registered
@mcogilvie As a user of a strange language (Polish) I must tell you that the apps are beautiful but each MacOS update/upgrade is a frightening experience. After such event I am always checking if Polish spell-checker still works. Often it works but sometimes it doesn't and you have to create a new fake user to reset the system to a proper state. It's funny that this new fake user fixes other users.

Microsoft Windows has a much more robust international support.
That probably follows from their orientation to international business. Microsoft and Apple have relatively benign business models, but different. Facebook is amoral on a good day, while Google and Amazon are somewhere in the middle. IMHO.

Also, I thought it was Reverse Polish people had trouble with. ;) I had a student years ago who forgot to bring a calculator to the final. I loaned him mine, which was an HP calculator that used Reverse Polish. After the exam, he complained that my calculator was too hard to use, and his grade should therefore be raised.

Last edited:

Ger80C

Registered
I had a student years ago who forgot to bring a calculator to the final. I loaned him mine, which was an HP calculator that used Reverse Polish. After the exam, he complained that my calculator was too hard to use, and his grade should therefore be raised.

I am quite certain that student must have become a lawyer later on. We cannot calculate (iudex non calculat) and complain all the time... ;)

wpost

Registered
My current employer is a Mac/iOS shop, my previous employer was a Windows/BlackBerry shop, and I use Linux and Android at home, so I am in a position to compare. Without throwing shade on anyone, my sense is that the original question puts things backwards. As I have often said when asked which operating system is best, it is the one that supports your preferred software and workflow.

mcogilvie

Registered
My current employer is a Mac/iOS shop, my previous employer was a Windows/BlackBerry shop, and I use Linux and Android at home, so I am in a position to compare. Without throwing shade on anyone, my sense is that the original question puts things backwards. As I have often said when asked which operating system is best, it is the one that supports your preferred software and workflow.
Now that we know that Apple’s M2 chipset is so good, the question is what happens next? The boring business-class Windows on Intel business seems safe for now, but everyone I know in technical fields is lusting after their own M2 system, and it seems clear Apple has software/hardware that scales from smart speakers to very powerful workstations. Anybody who knows what’s going to happen with high-performance computing servers isn’t talking.

jwsamuel

Registered
Now that we know that Apple’s M2 chipset is so good, the question is what happens next? The boring business-class Windows on Intel business seems safe for now, but everyone I know in technical fields is lusting after their own M2 system, and it seems clear Apple has software/hardware that scales from smart speakers to very powerful workstations. Anybody who knows what’s going to happen with high-performance computing servers isn’t talking.

The real answer to this is that most people don't care. They just want a dependable, relatively inexpensive computer that does what they need. I doubt the average user has any idea what chip is in their computer.

mcogilvie

Registered
The real answer to this is that most people don't care. They just want a dependable, relatively inexpensive computer that does what they need. I doubt the average user has any idea what chip is in their computer.
What you say may be true, but I don’t think it is particularly relevant. Steve Jobs famously said “It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them." Which company is the most valuable company in the world?

TesTeq

Registered
What you say may be true, but I don’t think it is particularly relevant. Steve Jobs famously said “It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them." Which company is the most valuable company in the world?
@mcogilvie Expensive/inexpensive may be irrelevant in some countries but for example Polish customers are extremely price sensitive. And not only individual customers but corporations and organizations too. The price factor practically always weights ~80% of the overall score in tenders.

mcogilvie

Registered
@mcogilvie Expensive/inexpensive may be irrelevant in some countries but for example Polish customers are extremely price sensitive. And not only individual customers but corporations and organizations too. The price factor practically always weights ~80% of the overall score in tenders.
Of course price is usually an issue for most people, but that’s only part of what drives high tech industries. I’ve been involved with high performance computing most of my professional career, and it has been profoundly affected as consumer-driven technology has made possible massively parallel computing and more recently massive GPU use. (GPU stands for graphical processing unit, but they are really good for most kinds of math: science, finance, bitcoin mining.) Apple has shown that ARM-based chips can be a lot better than Intel chips, and is successfully making the switch in laptop/desktop systems. Microsoft has not been able to do this yet. But performance drives volume, which drives price down. There’s always room for appliance-style products (like chrome books) but they don’t have seem to have much impact on the overall market.

To get back to the OP, I think overall hardware/software trends are a good part of what drives the “GTD experience” on various platforms. Price may drive platform choice, but I have seen plenty of large-scale deployments go very badly when price was over-weighted. At the individual level, people make their choices and deal. For example, there are plenty of people with Windows desktops and iPhones out there. It would be a source of friction with GTD for me, and it seems a bit strange that people have phones that cost more than their desktop machines, but that’s where a lot of people are today.