Does the GTD apply to physical objects and locations?

brinksbridge7

Registered
Can "Reference," "Someday/Maybe," projects list, etc., be locations that hold physical objects? Or is GTD strictly list/folder based?

How do you categorize/conceptualize real locations for your physical items? For example, do you ever think of a bookshelf as "Reference," or a drawer holding random items as being "Someday/Maybe," etc.?

Last edited:

Gardener

Registered
Can "Reference," "Someday/Maybe," projects list, etc., be locations that hold physical objects? Or is GTD strictly list/folder based?

How do you categorize/conceptualize real locations for your physical items? For example, do you ever think of a bookshelf as "Reference," or a drawer holding random items as being "Someday/Maybe," etc.?
Personally, I want everything that is actionable or may become actionable to have at least a pointer in my system.

So I might have a bin of stuff I want to read, but I want my system to have something that refers to it--say, a monthly repeater that says, "Select and start reading something from the Stuff I Should Read bin."

I might have a box of the seeds that I'm thinking of planting in late spring, but my system will have an item, maybe with a start date in early spring, of, "Select crops from seeds in blue box." Or if the whole thing is totally optional (edit: what did I mean by "empty"?), that item will be in my Farm Ideas list in the Someday/Maybe area.

Reference, IMO, is not actionable and will be in all sorts of places.

Last edited:

mcogilvie

Registered

Sure. ”Read and review” used to be a physical collection, but now it’s mostly digital (metaphysical? Literally means after physical). I wouldn’t overdo it; pointers in your lists make it harder to forget or ignore, as Gardener says.

Oogiem

Registered
Absolutely. Reference can be bookshelves, toolsheds,equipment and more. I often have actions that indicate where the reference material I will need is located especially if it's big or bulky.

Dave Edwards

Registered
Most of my reference material is now digital in Evernote. But for physical reference items they will be in specific locations:

I love gardening. I have lots of physical reference items (personal gardening journals, etc. ) that I store in my shed. But I have a summary list in Evernote so I know where I’ve put things.

The same thing with books I’ve read that are on my shelves. A master list is in Evernote.

If I don’t keep master lists, I tend to forget I have and where i have it.