Eraser shavings

manynothings

Registered
Hello,

I deal with paper and pencil a lot, so my desk tends to accumulate eraser shavings. Any suggestions on how to efficiently clear it?

Thanks,

manynothings.

cfoley

Registered
I also use paper and pencil. Here is my process:
  1. Collect: Use my right hand to brush the eraser shavings onto the floor (A.K.A. in-tray).
  2. Process: Process the shavings from the in-tray-floor with my vacuum cleaner.
  3. Organise: Empty the vacuum into the bin.
  4. Review: Do I need a new eraser yet? Is my vacuum still a good picker-upper? Is it time to take the bins out yet? Am I expecting guests? I should do an extra vacuum if I am expecting guests.
  5. Do: Do more erasing.
What worries me more than eraser shavings is the tyre treads from all the vehicles in the world. Where does all that rubber, etc go?

mickdodge

Registered
No extra suggestions for the cleaning up part, but I suggest using Pentel's Hi-Polymer Ain "Dust-Gathering" Erasers. The new polymer creates a lot less paper and eraser dust to clean up. I use them at home and work with good success. However, some paper types, like post-consumer recycled and water repellent paper, won't work well with these erasers.

They're hard to find in U.S. stores, but you can get them at a reasonable cost online from a store like JetPens.