Examples of getting creative and courageous

Kamazing

Registered
Hey all!
Does anyone have concrete examples of what it looks like to be creative and courageous in the weekly review?
It's the one part that leaves me scratching my head...
Hoping it'll loosen the bolts to hear what others are doing.
Thanks in advance
Kate

ivanjay205

Registered
Hey all!
Does anyone have concrete examples of what it looks like to be creative and courageous in the weekly review?
It's the one part that leaves me scratching my head...
Hoping it'll loosen the bolts to hear what others are doing.
Thanks in advance
Kate
I spent a lot of time fully customizing my weekly review. I dont know that I would say its courageous or creative but it is very much customized.

My first step is I actually walk around my office and just chat with a few people a bit. Im a business owner so it gives me a chance to see people on Friday afternoons before the weekend. Also give me a mental break from work as I transition into the review on Friday afternoons.

I have a mac so I run a shortcut and it turns on an acoustic playlist I have as backdrop, hides all app windows, and presents omnifocus in a perspective I use for the review. It helps a lot set the relaxed focus.

It does have lots of steps customized to my needs but I feel great once its done. Really transforms my mindset.

DKPhoto

Registered
It’s the one part I can’t do.

I have so many creative ideas during the week that the concept of forcing creativity at a Weekly Review doesn’t work for me.

I am a photographer so am a creative thinker naturally.

cfoley

Registered
I start my weekly review by getting my inbox to zero. Then I look at my calendar, actions, projects and all the rest of it. By the time I am done, somehow my inbox is overflowing with things that I have captured during the weekly review process. Just going through my lists gets my creative juices flowing.

This is one way that I know whether I have been creative and courageous during my weekly review, but it would be really great to see how other people think of this step.

schmeggahead

Registered
One customization of my review was to keep a completely blank piece of paper next to me while I do my review. At the beginning of my review, I date stamp it and write "Capture Mind Sweep" as a header and sit a pen I enjoy writing with on the page.

As I work through my review, all kinds of creative things and courageous things come at me as I am working through clarify, seeing follow-up waiting for items, looking at the calendar, reviewing someday maybe, etc.

In other words: This step occurs for me throughout the review process.

The key to making it happen is, for this sheet, to apply brainstorming rules: Capture everything, suspend judgement, freely identify benefits. Since this is capture, there is no requirement to do it (like all mind sweeps).

Somehow, this change occurred naturally. When I came to the creative step during one weekly review, I saw all the creative & courageous things that were already identified through the ordinary course of completing the other steps.

Hope this helps,
Clayton

Don't dream it, be it. - Frankenfurter - Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Matt_M

Registered
I find this question intriguing as it's sort of like saying to someone "How do I have fun?". Well, it's hard to answer how you might get creative or what you find courageous compared to anyone else. I think I would just say don't get caught up in trying to follow that piece of advice too literally. It's all relative.

It might be just looking at your someday / maybe list and finding a cool item on it that gets you to say "Ah, you know I really should do that this weekend" or just getting out of your comfort zone by going to a new restaurant, watching a new movie, starting a new hobby, or taking a weekend vacation to somewhere you didn't/wouldn't before. Of course, it could be nothing at all and just relaxing and spending time at home, with family, or in your backyard/on your patio/balcony.

Other times, you may look at everything and be fine with not being creative. It's not mandatory after all.

Hope this helps! :)