FacileThings VS Things 3 VS Nirvana

ivanjay205

Registered
I am sure this has been debated a lot, but I am just curious about an update in 2022 post covid world where a lot of things have changed to see some thoughts.

I have been a long time user of FacileThings. I LOVE the workflow. It keeps me organized and I am on top of my stuff. It works wonderfully. However, I find the UI so terrible. It is very ugly and it takes a lot of clicks to get anywhere. A bit slow too. The mobile app is useless except for capturing and checking off basic things. Not very strong in my opinion.

I have not tried Nirvana recently because I am so concerned about the lack of development. I feel like it is an app that is somewhat abandoned. Not sure how true it is to GTD but I assume it is.

I just downloaded Things 3. It is a beautiful app. My holdback was always the Mac only interface but now I have a Mac so it is a good viable option for me.

I love the calendar integration in FacileThings. However, I know that per "pure" GTD I probably rely on it too much as the calendar should be for appointments and not tasks that you "want" to do. I am moving to a bit more of a time blocking methodology to protect my calendar where I create some space for me to work on things but default back to my task system for that process.

But I just wanted to see if I can get some general feedback on the comparison of the 3 in 2022 from someone that is in an office, sometimes working from home, often traveling, and looking to balance all tools with personal and business into one tool. Mobility is important but I always carry a laptop or IPAD so it is not always from a phone.

Thanks!

mickdodge

Registered
I have not tried Nirvana recently because I am so concerned about the lack of development. I feel like it is an app that is somewhat abandoned. Not sure how true it is to GTD but I assume it is.
What you might consider "lack of development" with Nirvana, I consider stability and familiarity. It's like a favorite all-weather notebook that's always there when I need it. I'm biased, though, as I've stuck with Nirvana for the past 5 years. They do plan to add features soon. They are currently looking to hire a new developer to work specifically on Nirvana (https://medium.com/nirvanahq/its-2022-we-re-hiring-57bebb406b95).

That said, Nirvana may not have all the "office, sometimes working from home, often traveling, and looking to balance all tools with personal and business into one tool" options you need. But at least it's free to try it and experiment.

Things 3 is incredible. I've never fully implemented it, but in testing I was very impressed. However, its Apple ecosystem lock-in was enough for me to have to turn it down. I need the system agnostic access that Nirvana provides.

Never used or tested FacileThings, so I can't speak to it.

Last edited:

ivanjay205

Registered
What you might consider "lack of development" with Nirvana, I consider stability and familiarity. It's like a favorite all-weather notebook that's always there when I need it. I'm biased, though, as I've stuck with Nirvana for the past 5 years. They do plan to add features soon. They are currently looking to hire a new developer to work specifically on Nirvana (https://medium.com/nirvanahq/its-2022-we-re-hiring-57bebb406b95).

That said, Nirvana may not have all the "office, sometimes working from home, often traveling, and looking to balance all tools with personal and business into one tool" options you need. But at least it's free to try it and experiment.

Things 3 is incredible. I've never fully implemented it, but in testing I was very impressed. However, its Apple ecosystem lock-in was enough for me to have to turn it down. I need the system agnostic access that Nirvana provides.

Never used or tested FacileThings, so I can't speak to it.
I guess interesting perspective. but maybe cause I get bored I just like to see improvement in the tool I am using :)

I am also going to look at OmniFocus since I am mac based as I have heard a lot of good things about it

bilan

Registered
I have been a long time user of FacileThings. I LOVE the workflow. It keeps me organized and I am on top of my stuff. It works wonderfully. However, I find the UI so terrible. It is very ugly and it takes a lot of clicks to get anywhere. A bit slow too. The mobile app is useless except for capturing and checking off basic things. Not very strong in my opinion.
hello,

It’s exactly my situation and my feelings.
Im pretty sure Francesco is the only one dev behind this tool, despite he is always talking as a ”we” or “team”. The development is too slow.
As you say, the mobile app is useless. at this point he should just give it up and concentrate on the web app. The UI is definitely not at a 2022 level. I can’t manage project with it. The lack of templates is a big problem too.

it is sad. I really love how close to the GTD philosophy this app is.

Last edited:

ivanjay205

Registered
hello,

It’s exactly my situation and my feelings.
Im pretty sure Francesco is the only one dev behind this tool, despite he is always talking as a ”we” or “team”. The development is too slow.
As you say, the mobile app is useless. at this point he should just give it up and concentrate on the web app. The UI is definitely at a 2022 level. I can’t manage project with it. The lack of templates is a big problem too.

it is sad. I really love how close to the GTD philosophy this app is.
I recently abandoned ship for omnifocus. I just dont see it ever catching up.

bilan

Registered
I've tried omnifocus several time (and once again after I read your comment) but I don't get used to it. For example I couldn't find a way to manage the routines (the recurrent tasks) as easily and as "GTD" as with Facilethings.

To manage my project, I'm going with Trello for now. I keep hope that Francisco hires a webdev and eventually brings the UI of Facilethings up to date.

Last edited:

ivanjay205

Registered
I've tried omnifocus several time (and once again after I read your comment) but I don't get used to it. For example I couldn't find a way to manage the routines (the recurrent tasks) as easily and as "GTD" as with Facilethings.

To manage my project, I'm going with Trello for now. I keep hope that Francisco hires a webdev and eventually and brings the UI of Facilethings up to date.
I got to say I bought a learning class and I am loving it. Much faster and the app is much better. Steep learning curve and at first i hated it but recently it clicked.