• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

favorite Palm OS applications

  • Thread starter Thread starter eno
  • Start date Start date
E

eno

Guest
What are your favourite Palm OS applications?

Some of those that I found quite nice include...

Acid Image
image viewer that lets you zoom seamlessly

SplashPhoto
another image viewer; this one has a nice way of displaying thumbs

pTunes
audio player; also plays mp3 files which is nice if you're on the go

Insaniquarium
a game & quite addictive..
 
Palm Apps

Here's what I have on my Main page for my T3:

3Nity - a userid and password holder for the palm. I keep all my id's and passwords here.

DayNotez - a handy place to keep the notes of the day. Let's me track activity by date, contact, keyword and palm category. It comes with a desktop companion that I use for data entry and can review notes from my palm.

Documents to Go - Word, XL and PPT for the palm.

Expense Plus - I replaced the expense application that comes with the palm because this is a bit easier to use and allows me to specify various accounts from which items are paid, and also allows me to track against my companies cost centers.

Gulliver - I keep my travel itineraries here.

KK-12C - Emulates the HP12C financial calculator on my palm. It even amortizes faster than my actual calculator (of course the HP12C I own is a dinosaur).

PktQuicken - I just upgraded to the new release. There are some great additional features.

Project@Hand - Project Management on my Palm.

ShadowPlan - An outliner.

Slap - a utility for entering "stuff" and then slapping it into the right place (such as a task, appointment, etc.)

Trip - Tracks auto milage for business and tax purposes.

Weekly Plan - A nice weekly view of tasks and appointments.

2Action Meeting - I don't use this as much as I used to. It's great for creating meeting notes and tracking meeting agendas.

ChemTable - Just in case I need a periodic table of elements...

HanDBase 3 - Database that syncs with Access.

Wassup - A nice overview of what's in your palm.
 
There are 2 applications on my Treo that I consider critical to my GTD system which is based around Outlook 2003:

1. Chapura's KeySuite. Superb Outlook 2003 integration. Flawless and fast sync'ing.

2. Chatter Email. Used on an IMAP server so I have one view of my email whether I am using my Outlook or my Treo.
 
I use Agendus Pro for my calendar and my contacts. I use LifeBalance to handle all of my tasks and projects. LifeBalance automatically beams my tasks to DayNotez when I check them off, and DayNotez also imports events from my calendar. DayNotez is more of a curiosity at this point, since it simply gives me a list of what I've done and when. I don't report to anyone, but I still find it good to review occasionally to gauge my productivity. I use VersaMail for my e-mail, which synchs up with my Thunderbird mailbox on my PC. I don't have a WiFi card, but new mail is downloaded and my outbox is sent every time I sync my palm, and that works well enough for me.

I use Fitaly as an alternative keyboard layout for my Palm, which boosts the speed that I can enter short notes. If I'm out an need to write an e-mail or a detailed note, then I have a foldable full sized infrared keyboard in the glove compartment of my car. All of these programs sync with a corresponding Windows version, though, so I use a windows PC most of the time for printing and easier data input.
 
I like this topic:

Datebk5 -- no introduction needed

Bonsai -- same as above (although I did use ShadowPlan until about 2 years ago)

eReader - one of the best electronic readers

PocketLingo dictionaries -- I have about 5 dictionaries of the suite including the max American Heritage one

ZLauncher -- best launcher

TCPMP -- best multimedia player -- plays every kind of video file -- no need to convert to anything

PocketTunes -- only use it to play internet streams

Clie AudioPlayer -- use it to play mp3s

Picsel Browser -- best internet browser (I was using NetFront until recently)

Resco Viewer -- THE best picture viewer

SplashID -- I keep all my passwords in it

HandyShopper -- all my shopping needs

Contacts+ -- my address book

a few minor hacks and DAs that make the whole Palm experience beautiful.
 
Favorite Palm Apps

For GTD, I generally like apps that have a good desktop companion. The desktop is more convenient for heavy data entry. My main GTD tools are DateBk5 and Bonsai. Other useful apps are:

- TurboPasswords: Good desktop companion that integrates with IE6. It
automatically fills in user name and password on web forms. A great time
saver for all the web based tools I use for work.

- Palmary Clock: alarms, timers, stop watch

- HandyShopper

- NeoCal: Good RPN calculator

- Documents to Go

- Various utilites: 5N Launch, FileZ, Uninstall Manager, Crash,
BackupBuddy VFS & Icon Manager

- Assorted games when it's time for a break.
 
Top