Filing Cabinets: A-Z vs functions?

Kimera757

Registered
So I have a question about what should go in a GTD filing cabinet.

I've heard that everything should be organized A-Z. But I need a tickler file, incubate file, waiting for file, next action file(s) and project files. I'm not sure how to organize them by A-Z and through the more functional system. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's impossible.

I have a cabinet lined up, ready for purchase, but I didn't want to buy without knowing how I would organize folders within the cabinet.

TesTeq

Registered
I've heard that everything should be organized A-Z. But I need a tickler file, incubate file, waiting for file, next action file(s) and project files. I'm not sure how to organize them by A-Z and through the more functional system. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's impossible.

I have a cabinet lined up, ready for purchase, but I didn't want to buy without knowing how I would organize folders within the cabinet.
You can put a tickler file in your A-Z cabinet at "T" as Tickler01, Tickler02...
I don't know what you mean by "incubate file, waiting for file, next action file(s) and project files". Do you want to store your lists in folders?
Don't wait for a perfect organization system. Do something and modify it later according to your needs.

Oogiem

Registered
Sounds like you are doing your GTD action lists on paper? That is the only way I can see having files for waiting for's and next actions.

Personally I keep a small subset of paper files in my "Active Project" drawer. In it are my tickler files (I have a tickler system, 1-31 individual folders plus 1 for each month) and the Files for each active project sorted A-Z. I also have one file called Action Support for papers related to one off actions or projects without any paper file folder.

All my action lists are in my Omnifocus system. SO are my waiting for's. All my someday/maybe paper files (what I think you are calling incubate?) files are in my main filing cabinet along with all my paper reference files and they are sorted by folder name in A-Z format.