• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Filing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Guest
Good day. There are many things I have learned from reading books and articles written by David Allen and the GTD staff, but the one thing that has made the greatest impact of all is filing. I had a LARGE box filled with papers of all kinds; photos, recipes, articles to read, grade reports, pay stubs, every kind of piece of paper that would normally enter a household. You know, one of those "until I get to it boxes" that grew larger and larger each year.

I have filed every piece of paper I have into my 4 drawer file cabinet. Right now, I have 169 file folders filed by name, not category. As I create and get rid of files, I have a list of my files recorded in Word and synced to Documents to Go so that I'll stay on top of them.

What do I have in 169 file folders? Well I have articles to read by category; sewing files - one each for fabric, fashion ideas, etc.; one for recipes for entertaining, another for recipes for personal nutritional plan which are quite different; one for each creditor, one for each of my insurances, one for my husband, one each of my grandchildren, one each for certain family members; taxes by year; various software, etc. I do have all of my small appliance info placed in one manila folder, but that's about all I have combined.

I have also separated my photographs into expanding file folders and placed those into my file cabinet labeled by category until I can get to or delegate another option for those. But at least they're now in order and not thrown haphazardly into a box.

Now, I must stay that I don't have the files labeled with a labeler and I do use hanging file folders, but I have each folder in a separate hanging file folder, labeled in pencil on the manila file folder. I like using hanging file folders because it's easier for me to move the manila folders around to find what I want.

I'm sure I can purge and get rid of some of the folders that I have and I will - I figure I'll do it by alphabet - 1 a week. That will give me 2 go-rounds for each file per year.

In the past I labeled by category and it was not always to simple to find a file - especially if I changed the category name. This works for me. What a freeing feeling. Ahhhhhhh - but those are my personal files.

I'm going to be starting a business soon and I hope this works just as well for that - which is yet to be determined.

Well, thanks for taking the time.

Peace !
 
Top