Forum as Newsreader

R

Renger

Hi
Wouldn't it be great to have the forum in Newsreader format?

For those who don't know what that is: Newsreader format allows you to download on your PC all the newest posts to the forum (the first time you can download all the posts). This means that I can read through the postings on my way home either using my IPOD or my notebook.
It is also nice because you can read through all the topics and know exactly what you have read (I use different computers to access the forum, so I always have problems finding out which thread I already read).

The developers of this form phpBB have an add-on that seems to produce newsreader format (I don't know it, but it sounds good). It is called RSS COntent Syndicator and can be found on their homepage under MODS - Syndication.

Renger

ceehjay

Registered
Identificatin of new messages

I wouldn't download messages to a PDA, and I don't have a notebook. I read the forum on two computers (home and work). If you log in, it's easy to see which messages you haven't read -- the icon in front of the two forum names is orange if there are new messages since your last visit, and white if there aren't. Inside each forum, the little note in front of the "Posted" date and time is orange if the message is new. Read them all, click on "Forum Index" above the posts to return to the main forum page, and the cues turn white. No guesswork involved.

Carolyn

R

Renger

Read messages

If I log in using my notebook, all messages I have read being logged in using my workstation are "unread" (but perhaps I am overlooking something).
I am working through all the postings and a Newsreader would really be great: I could delete messages, keep the good ones in my newsreader, etc. Furthermore, the additional newsreader option wouldn't change anything for people using the forum without newsreader.

Renger

M

mochant

RSS is the way to go...

I've come to count on RSS as my primary means of aggregating information. Being able to check on new posts right in Outlook (I use the NewsGator add-in to bring RSS feeds right into Outlook) would be a great convenience. Not that I don't enjoy hanging out here and participating in the threads :wink:

A

Anonymous

RSS Newsreader

I would love to access this in an RSS Reader. I often clear my computer of cookies and such, and when I do, ALL the messages go back to being Unread. This would let me see every New post without having to re-scroll thru the same ones again.
Of course I would want this forum to remain the same for those who choose not to use RSS.
Thanks for the Poll.

Guest-Elena

M

me_brown1110

Bloglines

I like using the Bloglines web-based newsreader. It's free (for the time being anyway, you never know) and I view Jason and David's blogs through it. I check once a day or every few days, depending on time/energy. Very convenient way to scan what's new without having to go to a zillion web sites.

M

mochant

Re: Bloglines

me_brown1110 said:
I like using the Bloglines web-based newsreader. It's free (for the time being anyway, you never know) and I view Jason and David's blogs through it. I check once a day or every few days, depending on time/energy. Very convenient way to scan what's new without having to go to a zillion web sites.
Bloglines is a great web-based aggregator. If you use a WiFi-enabled PDA or a PDA phone, they have a special URL formatted for the small screen.

R

Renger

Messages read and Newsgater

I have the same problem: my read-posts aren't marked "read" after a while as I use anti-spyware on my computer (I suppose this is the reason). I installed the test-version of NewsGator and now all new posts to David Allen's and Marc's weblog (and some others) automatically appear in Outlook and I don't have to go to the internet, go to all these different pages and look for new topics (thanks for the hint, Marc!)
Wouldn't that be great if this could also be true for this forum?
Renger

M

mochant

Re: Messages read and Newsgater

Renger said:
I have the same problem: my read-posts aren't marked "read" after a while as I use anti-spyware on my computer (I suppose this is the reason). I installed the test-version of NewsGator and now all new posts to David Allen's and Marc's weblog (and some others) automatically appear in Outlook and I don't have to go to the internet, go to all these different pages and look for new topics (thanks for the hint, Marc!)
Wouldn't that be great if this could also be true for this forum?
Renger

Renger - thanks for the kind words about my blog :D

If the GTD folks can add an RSS feed tot his forum, you'll be able to just that. Jason, I know you're reading the posts here (and contributing some great stuff!). Can you look into this with the forum administrators?