From In box to today's next actions

A

Anonymous

Hello

When clearing out one's in-box where does GTD recommend to place items which are actionable "today" but will take longer than 2 minutes? i.e.- It doesn't belong in the "tickler" file because it's actionable today and since it's "actionable" it doesn't go in the general reference file.

Where does GTD recommend one put the paperwork?

In a pile on one's desk?

Thanks,

Anthony

C

CosmoGTD

Next Action Support File

What i do, is i have the Task on my Next Action list for today, and then any Support Docs in a stand-up file on my desk, beside my Inbox.
Example:
NA: configure new cell phone (grrrrr)
NA Support file: new cell phone users guide.

This allows me to have the NA on the list, and the Support file handy. I might have 2-7 things in this file at one time.

I think a PILE will get you in a PILE of trouble with the GTD Police!
Have a nice FILE, labelled, use it, and when the NA done, file it, or chuck it.
Coz

ext555

Registered
Just about the same here. If for some reason you don't want the file on your desk --you can also put a file labeled "pending" or action support as the first file inside your desk side file drawer.

As long as you know where it is (but I wouldn't file it away in your A-Z files) --the next actions on the list will serve as your reminder anyway .

Paul

A

andmor

Re: From In box to today's next actions

Anthony said:
Hello

When clearing out one's in-box where does GTD recommend to place items which are actionable "today" but will take longer than 2 minutes? In a pile on one's desk?

Why not? Personally, having an empty Inbox and a clean desk at the end of the day is challenge enough. Maybe some day, I will reach the ideal of having only the thing I am working on on my desk, but until then being tidy once a day is a working objective.

Andrew

A

Anonymous

andmor said:
Anthony said:
In a pile on one's desk?

Why not? Personally, having an empty Inbox and a clean desk at the end of the day is challenge enough. Maybe some day, I will reach the ideal of having only the thing I am working on on my desk, but until then being tidy once a day is a working objective.

Andrew

It's not that I particularly object to piles for a day. I'm very use to that (a little to use to it in fact!). I'd rather have something I need today within sight, rather than hidden away.

I was just curious as to what GTD recommended to keep those things at hand but at the same time somewhat organized.

The standing file folder ideas sounds like a good idea. Keeps items within instant reach and within one's view.

Thanks,

Anthony

ext555

Registered
To further explain the concept --if you look at the tips & tools section on this site , you'll find two articles , one is David's travelling folders set up , the other is some tips for settting up a personal work-space -which also mentions the folders.

On the desk top in a wire file rack is how I do it myself. I figured if it works for DA --why not give it a try -but -you have to use what works for you personally.

Paul

A

andmor

Anonymous said:
andmor said:
Anthony said:
In a pile on one's desk?

Andrew

It's not that I particularly object to piles for a day. I'm very use to that (a little to use to it in fact!). I'd rather have something I need today within sight, rather than hidden away.

I was just curious as to what GTD recommended to keep those things at hand but at the same time somewhat organized.

The standing file folder ideas sounds like a good idea. Keeps items within instant reach and within one's view.

Thanks,

Anthony

Sorry if my post looked a little impersonal. Your question insightfully highlights something that seems to be missing from the book - if you empty Today's tickler into your Inbox and then empty your Inbox, where do you put Today's work?

I have found that my Today pile takes up less desk space than a hanging folder frame and is easier to access while I am sitting down. But if my desk had drawers I might use one of them for "Today". My impression was that desk hanging files were more commonly recommended for immediate project support than for NA's - but I use a filing cabinet drawer for that.

Whatever works for you :)

Andrew

M

me_brown1110

I keep today's Tickler folder on my desk

For items I need to do today but can't do now, I'll make a note or print out the email and stick it into today's Tickler folder (for example, today, 3/31, I have the "31" folder sitting out on my desk).

The only pile (for now!) on my desk is a deliverable for my manager, whose door is closed at the moment. Work stuff goes into the appropriate project folder or next-action list or my Tickler folder for the day. Stuff I can't get to today, goes into tomorrow's Tickler folder. Keeps things nice and neat, though you have to be careful not to keep shuffling papers from day to day. At some point, you have to action them.

HTH -- mike