Gaining Consistent Energy Flow

A

Anonymous

While I think it would be inhuman to ask anyone to maintain a totally enthusiastic attitude 24/7, I for one can totally relate to bringing less than superhuman ebulliance to some tasks that must nevertheless get done.

It's a cliché, but nevertheless a cliché worth remembering when I write, "Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Remembering that helps me at times as does the following:

Music: When I have a long series of tedious, repetitive tasks (answering beginner's email questions, weeding, sifting soil, taking inventory of stock, cleaning-- in short tasks that require very little frontal lobe power), music hath power to soothe my savage breast and helps get me through it. MP3's are God's gift! :D

Enviorment: At times I will get myself good and insulated in my studio... that means turning the phones off, not picking up email, and wearing my comfortable clothes... a huge mug o' java, fuzzy slippers, and Bach's Goldberg Variations (oops, there's music again) and I'm good for hours. I also am a total morning person but occassionally I will pull an all-nighter as working late at night has a special feeling in and of itself for me. It's *very* quiet and I can get an enormous amount of work done.

Not too distracting distractions: For me this would include talk radio, perhaps something on The Learning Channel, a fire in the fireplace (I'm lucky, my design studio is attached to my home), and even this discussion board. I find it a real treat to pop in here several times a day and see what people are posting and discussing.

Inspirations: I have my Palm Pilot set up as per David Allen's suggestions, so one of the memo categories is 'Inspirations', in which I have amassed several dozen notable quotes that inspire me, not only because of the contents but also who uttered or wrote them. A few that come to mind are:

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith.-Thomas Jefferson

And one that I found in David's latest newsletter: The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.- James Michener

When I find my impetus to work more creatively has drained, I reflect on what Andrés Segovia said when asked why he continued to perform and work so hard well into his nineties: I shall have all eternity to rest.

I hope this helps,

Dave