General Reference Filling

DayneB

Registered
Question regarding filling. Once I've removed all hanging file folders, and set up a A-Z system (Acme Water-correspondence , Bell Canada-Statements, etc) how do I know where each letter begins? Should I have some type of divider to so I know where C ends and D begins ?

J

JohnParlabane

I would suggest do whatever works for you.

In my filing, I do not use any lettered dividers. The folders will naturally arrange themselves (with a little help from you). My biggest tip would be label everything clearly so it is very easy to see.

BUT, resist the temptation to buy a label printer. I feel they fall into the category of "cool gizmos that make you feel like you organized but really just suck time from your schedule" (sorry) Also, they are not "chick-magnets" the way the commercials claim. Mr. Microphone, on the other hand, is definitely a chick magnet.

One last tip: Label printers are actually mind-control devices controlled by the NSA in cooperation with the CIA. For you folks out there using them on a regular basis, haven't you always wondered why you get hungry in the middle of the day for no reason, and the way you start to feel tired at night? Enough said...

ScottL

Registered
Dissenting opinion: if you have the labelmaker and blank folders out, it takes all of 30 sec to make a new folder. Given the relatively small cost, and the increased legibility of labels (I like black text on white labels for manilla folders) it is well worth it to me.

Guy Bjerke

Registered
Reference Filing

I've created a simple Access database - that I keep open and minimized on my desktop - to create file folder labels. I almost always make two or more at a time and there's a way to use Avery sheet labels - starting where you left off. As a bonus - I can format a quick alpha report of what files already exist for quick reference at my desk. HTH. I use the A-Z file dividers you can get in any stationery store

steve

Registered
Dayne, I encountered that issue during GTD coaching, and Megg told me about the Manilla A-Z file dividers. They're thick enough to not bend and a little taller than a Pendaflex. I use one manilla folder per pendaflex, with my labels on the Pendaflex. When you drop those A-Z cards in between the letter transitions in your files, it works wonders because you can then quickly zip into the right letter with just a glance. I ordered mine online from OfficeMax.com, they were delivered the next day. A bit pricey but well worth it.

-Steve

M

Murt

Labelers

Before reading GTD, I would have never have even considered buying a label printer. I tried it, and finding things among my neatly labeled folders is just quicker and easier than before. And for me it's just quicker than trying to print them from the computer.

There is also a psychological benefit to the neatness that makes you feel in control (and that's a chick magnet).

JohnParlabane said:
BUT, resist the temptation to buy a label printer. I feel they fall into the category of "cool gizmos that make you feel like you organized but really just suck time from your schedule" (sorry) Also, they are not "chick-magnets" the way the commercials claim. Mr. Microphone, on the other hand, is definitely a chick magnet.

DayneB

Registered
File Dividers

Thanks Steve. That's exactly what I was looking for. I was able to stop and get some on the way home. I was worried I would have to go back to hanging files.

Also, I did initially resist getting a labeler, but the more I got into the GTD approach I realized it's value.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses

J

Jason Womack

Could have fooled us!

It's true, labelers are a "gadget."

(Raise your hands tecno-geeks!)

It continues to surprise me the feedback we get on the labeling system! When we've coached clients with desks piled high with last year's Christmas Cards and this year's quarterly reports, we've found the labeler the fastest way to get them current.

Do I file because I have a labeler? Or, do I label so I file? Whatever that "fine" line is, I know that I have a Gen Ref system that is current, that I trust, and that I enjoy using!

Again, each person will take and use what works for them. The feedback we have gotten over the years has been positive... people who use a labeler file more!

J

jrj102

Re: Could have fooled us!

Jason Womack said:
Do I file because I have a labeler? Or, do I label so I file? Whatever that "fine" line is, I know that I have a Gen Ref system that is current, that I trust, and that I enjoy using!

Like David Allen says, "sometimes all you need is a good trick." Well, for many of us (myself included) using the labeler is our trick to get us in the habit and mode of filing things properly in our general reference files. It is that simple.

--- JRJ

C

CosmoGTD

The Labelling Controversy

Well!
I must dissent! :evil:
I almost bought a labeller, but then i got some Avery labels for my computer. These things work GREAT!
I downloaded the free MS Word Wizard, you punch in the model number of your labels, type the labels up, format within the boxes, and print!
I had ZERO errors, i can do one label at a time, and i went berserk labelling everthing, even the label envelopes!
It totally cleaned up my personal filing system.
So Avery labels for MS Word work perfectly for me from my Win98 laptop.
Cheaper, and Faster, and Easier for me!
:D :p 8)

J

jrj102

Re: The Labelling Controversy

CosmoGTD said:
So Avery labels for MS Word work perfectly for me from my Win98 laptop.
Cheaper, and Faster, and Easier for me!

Are you honestly saying that your Windows 98 laptop, (at least a thousand dollars) plus your printer, (at least a couple hundred dollars) plus a sheet of label paper is cheaper then a $29.99 labeler?

Sorry... I couldn't resist. :)

--- JRJ

C

CosmoGTD

Labelosity

well, first off, in the United States of Canada, that labeler is about $60.00, up to $80! :shock:
Plus the future capital cost investments in labeler paper...
Secondly, the labeller has a learning curve... :(
Fifth, i already spent 5 grand on my computer/printer! I better use them!
But most importantly, i can go nuts with Fonts and Formatting, so instead of GTD, i can avoid the stress of completing challenging tasks by %#*! with labels all the live long day!
:p

A

Anonymous

Re: The Labelling Controversy

CosmoGTD said:
i can do one label at a time
Hello, I haven't posted here before so I hope this quote thing works.

I've read DA's book twice and did the Barnes & Noble Class and have been reading the posts here. I get a lot of useful information here and it has helped me to get started with a system that I am actually doing.

I've always been told that you can not run a label sheet through a printer twice. Because the printer melts the glue on the labels. So, I've never done one label at a time. How do you do it?

BTW, I do use a brother labeler and i love it!

gtdatlast

Registered
Hello

Ok, so I didn't add the quote correctly, will work on that one later.

I had to sign in as a guest because I thought I had registered, but I couldn't find my username or ID...but now I don't think I ever registered because I would have remembered that the time zone was wierd. I am in California. Would that be GMT -1 or GMT -2?

I promise not to send any more posts before I have had my first cup of coffee for the day!

Now it's off to my weekly review. Sunday is a good day to do my review as I get no interruptions. I am not at work and on Sunday, my family thinks if they stay away from me I won't make them go to church! So I have a few hours of blessed quitness on sunday mornings.

C

CosmoGTD

Re: Hello

Hi,

I am in California. Would that be GMT -1 or GMT -2?

According to my WorldTime software, PST is GMT -8

I use an inkjet printer. It does say not to run it through twice, but i THINK that is for laser printers.
What i do though, is make sure i do the labels from the 'bottom up" on one side first, that way the chances of getting a label stuck in the printer seem to be less.
Also, set the printer for glossy paper.
So far so good for me!
My favorite way to label though, is to make a list, and then do 30 at once.
Labels are my life now.
:wink:

A

Anonymous

Re: Could have fooled us!

Like David Allen says, "sometimes all you need is a good trick." Well, for many of us (myself included) using the labeler is our trick to get us in the habit and mode of filing things properly in our general reference files. It is that simple.

--- JRJ[/quote]

I don't have anything to add, but I thought this statement was so powerfully true to my own experience that I wanted to record my endorsement of it.

Andrew

A

Anonymous

Hanging Files

I've never been able to figure out what kind of files David Allen is talking about. He doesnt like hanging files - whats the alternative he recommends.

I'd prefer an image instead of an explanation if someone knows of a link to a website...

Thanks
DM

kglade

Registered
I believe DA recommends just using plain manilla file folders placed one after antoher in a file drawer with a moveable backplate to shorten the drawer to keep the folders from falling over.

A

Anonymous

Yes to the A-Z dividers--this is work simplification--it just cuts down on the mental work. And I have a lot of Ks and Hs so I have those subdivided using a piece of cardboard (K, Ki; H , Ho). Yes to a labeler if it simplifies your work--for me, I am not very dexterous and it takes me many tries to peae off the back of the label and get it on the folder (a minute or more), so in this stage when I am doing a lot of file creation I have quit using the labeler. But, after my present "in" is empty, I am going to make the labels as my daily "in" gets process and I add to my existing folders--certainly if I need to locate a folder several times it behooves me to have uniform label on it. I expect that 80% of my folders I will not look into very often at all.

A

Anonymous

Yes to the A-Z dividers--this is work simplification--it just cuts down on the mental work. And I have a lot of Ks and Hs so I have those subdivided using a piece of cardboard (K, Ki; H , Ho). Yes to a labeler if it simplifies your work--for me, I am not very dexterous and it takes me many tries to peel off the back of the label and get it on the folder (a minute or more), so in this stage when I am doing a lot of file creation I have quit using the labeler. But, after my present "in" is empty, I am going to make the labels as my daily "in" gets process and I add to my existing folders--certainly if I need to locate a folder several times it behooves me to have uniform label on it. I expect that 80% of my folders I will not look for or even add to very often at all.