Getting Control of Reference

David Parker

GTD Connect
What's interesting about David's latest video about a simple filing system is that he's still using the trusty Dymo PnP USB labeler he's had for years (there's a wireless version of it now but it's twice the cost!)

This labeler is great because it's portable - your just need a USB connection to make it work.

The other point of interest is that since David moved to Europe, he's now having to deal with the dreadful hanging files that mean you can't see what you've labelled your files without opening the hanging file or labelling it as well.

For many years, David advocated the system used in the US where a pressure pad keeps the file folders neatly stacked without the need for hanging files.

David

Last edited:

vino

Registered
Personally, I do not understand the importance of having a labeler. I have never used one.

I use label sticker. Write the label and paste it on the folder.

vino

Registered
Interesting.. maybe it is time to shift to a labeler. Can't be travelling by camel everyday :D

Mark Jantzen

Registered
I thought the idea of a labeler was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard. Then I bought one. Wow, was I ever wrong. From my experience David is right on the money about labeled files.

I have a Brother P-Touch (forgot model) that must be 10 years old and I'm only on my second set of AA batteries. I thought I'd be burning through batteries much more often.

I tried a Dymo labeler but it fought my Mac every step of the way. It didn't last ...

TesTeq

Registered
I thought the idea of a labeler was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard. Then I bought one. Wow, was I ever wrong. From my experience David is right on the money about labeled files.

I have a Brother P-Touch (forgot model) that must be 10 years old and I'm only on my second set of AA batteries. I thought I'd be burning through batteries much more often.

I tried a Dymo labeler but it fought my Mac every step of the way. It didn't last ...
I thought the idea of a labeler was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard too. Then I bought one. And yes, it was a total waste of money... for me. ;-)
Why? Because I like my handwriting and I like my manually labeled files!
And the labeler? It's 10 years old, not used, in my drawer... just in case @DavidAllen would like to inspect my tools. :)))