Goodbye to GTD

ellobogrande

Registered
ArcCaster;58668 said:
I've had reactions similar to those of Madalu -- that is, I have felt oppressed and driven by my lists.

In the last few weeks, I've been changing the focus of my next action lists --they are becoming less like tasks and more like bookmarks, and I am feeling 'more free'.

Bookmarks are simply entry points back into different worlds (or books) which I have left for various reasons. I don't HAVE to 'pick up any of those books' -- but if I do, I know what page to turn to. Further, I don't have to know the whole book, or think a few pages ahead -- all I need is the entry point. So, my next action list is shrinking, I am working more 'in the moment', and, once I have re-entered via my bookmarked entry-point, I am letting the work itself define my next actions.

Regards,
Rob

Very well put. I think this was the greatest paradigm shift I had since I started GTD. I used to focus on cranking the widgets on the action lists without regard to the projects to which they were related, and as a result I was moving lots of projects forward by baby steps and completing none of them. Now that I treat next actions as bookmarks, it's made a difference for me in that area.

Helen S.G.

Registered
These new threads by folks that are leaving GTD, for their various reasons, are some of the BEST threads found here. The conversations that ensue jump to those higher levels of why we're here, why we do this, and how it has changed our lives. Great food for thought...

Coolbreeze

Registered
I agree and I disagree with Madalu

madalu;57852 said:
In fact, the knowledge that I had a long list of ALL the commitments in my life proved more stressful than keeping them in my mind. My lists made me feel that I had to be working ALL of the time.

As a newbie to GTD I have to agree with the point that Madalu says here. The fact that I have a list some where makes me feel that I have to be doing something all the time. Which creates unhealthy and negative emotions in subtle ways, like feeling slightly stressed all the time.

But at the same time I know that GTD does work, let me share one of my recent experiences.

Every year I'm always reminded by my wife that I missed the month my car suppose to be inspected. One year I got a letter directly by DMV themselves about how I was about to get penalized because I think I missed it by 2 months!

This year, the first time that I read and started implementing the GTD system, I did not have to be reminded by my wife or Motor Vehicles about my car inspection. I not only got it inspected on time but did some preventive maintenance done to the car as well. I finally was on top things. I was in control. living, at that moment, a PROACTIVE, instead of a reactive life and it felt good!

In my younger days I worked from my mind, but my life and life around me has changed and is constantly changing and the GTD system has been a God sent for me to help me survive it.

So yes, I haven't reached that Mind Life Water stage and I do still feel stressed but I feel if I keep at it, I'll get there, to that stress free productive living.

kewms

Registered
Coolbreeze;59308 said:
As a newbie to GTD I have to agree with the point that Madalu says here. The fact that I have a list some where makes me feel that I have to be doing something all the time. Which creates unhealthy and negative emotions in subtle ways, like feeling slightly stressed all the time.

I think the answer is that GTD is not The Answer.

Which makes sense because The Answer can't be found at the runway level, anyway. Reducing stress has to do with things like happiness, finding meaning in one's life and work, and so forth. Lists alone will never do that.

Lots of traditions talk about careful attention as a route to higher truths. That's not to say that you should work *all* the time, but that you should be fully present in whatever you are doing, either work or play. When you are flying a kite with your kids, don't have your mind dancing around the presentation you should be working on instead. And have confidence that you can put your full attention on the presentation when the time comes, because you *did* take the time for kite flying. That's not achieved by simply having lists, but by taking control of what goes on them.

Katherine

johnmcoulter

Registered
Killing the Messenger

kewms;59309 said:
I think the answer is that GTD is not The Answer.

Which makes sense because The Answer can't be found at the runway level, anyway. Reducing stress has to do with things like happiness, finding meaning in one's life and work, and so forth. Lists alone will never do that.

Katherine

Agreed (as I always do with kewms' postings). Killing the GTD messenger doesn't change the message(s) it's giving you about your life. You're the one who is creating/allowing the tasks that appear on your lists. If you don't like the tasks or the lists, don't point the finger at GTD. Even if you don't formally put the tasks onto recorded lists, they'll still "be there" regardless, and you'll still have to deal with them sometime.

John

Brent

Registered
Coolbreeze;59308 said:
The fact that I have a list some where makes me feel that I have to be doing something all the time. Which creates unhealthy and negative emotions in subtle ways, like feeling slightly stressed all the time.

The work was always there. That slight stress is your new awareness of the work.

Is it better to be blissfully ignorant of one's responsibilities, until they explode in one's face? Or to be ever-mindful of those responsibilities, but in so doing keep them from exploding?

Of course, that's a false dichotomy, and overstating each case. The slight stress does go away after a while, once your brain trusts your system.

Coolbreeze

Registered
Still agreeing and disagreeing

Brent;59325 said:
The work was always there. That slight stress is your new awareness of the work...
...The slight stress does go away after a while, once your brain trusts your system.

I totally agree with you along with what Kathy and John mentioned as well.
But I do not think my problem is the system, but me!

As I think about it, I believe the stress or tension I feel is me questioning myself. Am I able to perform the task? Do I have the discipline to carry out the task to completion?

David Allen emphasizes having clean edges. For example, do not put a task on the calender unless you absolutely have to do it that day. You do not want that task to roll over the next day because that will blur the system.This is what happens to me often.

Another quick example, its imperative one has that weekly review. It's about just doing it. blocking out that time, and space just to do it, is my challenge.

So you see its not the system but my ability to step up to plate when I need to, is where I believe my stress lies.:confused:

The link to the article below from GTD times explains it best.

http://www.gtdtimes.com/2008/04/19/5-things-gtd-wont-fix/

Brent

Registered
Coolbreeze;59333 said:
So you see its not the system but my ability to step up to plate when I need to, is where I believe my stress lies.

Yes, you've made that clear.

GTD completely retrains your brain to handle incoming work, and organization of that work, in a different way than you've been doing so. You're changing habits that you've had for decades. Are you surprised that this makes you confused or ineffective, at least temporarily? Are you surprised that it takes time to completely change your brain's work habits?

clango

Registered
GTD and golf player

Dear Madalu,

I think it is a problem of swing. Like playing golf! Yes! You cannot play golf if you don't have the swing! You need to balance too many forces and informations together you cannot be able by mind, by rationality. The swing is a natural flow.

Now thinking at me, I think the same. At the beginning you try to be rational but it means too many do and don't. After the first period of training, however, comes the swinggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perseverance?

My best regards

Claudio

PS I don't play golf but I read a wonderful book: "Golf for Enlightenment: The Seven Lessons for the Game of Life " by Deepak Chopra. Good for golf player but also for men and women that like to live