• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Google Notebook

I've been using this more and more. I start a lot of projects by doing some internet research. Google Notebooks allows me to save interesting web findings on Google's servers and access them anywhere I have internet access.

I create a separate Google notebook for each area of interest. If I find something of interest on the web, I select the relevant text, right click, click on Note This (Google Notebook) and I have everything saved with a link and searchable.

It's all rather utilitarian without bells and whistles. But it serves a need that I have.

For example, I will buy, one of these days, a new smart phone. Each time I found out something of interest, I save the text and link to my Smartphone Google Notebook.

I just set a new notebook up today because I want to create oral histories (actually, I'll probably make them video histories) from some of my older relatives. I found a number of websites with lists of questions to ask. I saved all these lists to a notebook and added as an NA for my Oral Histories Completed project "Organize questions from Google Notebook."

As they say on the streets of New York, "Check it out!"
 
I am looking closely at Google Notebooks. An article at lifehacker.com shows an elaborate implementation of GTD using Google Notbooks.

My only reservation is that I can't do an offline archive/backup of what is done in Google Notebooks. I know that there is an extremely low probability of Google deleting/losing my stuff, but I would love to find a Google Gears app that could sync my Google Notebook locally (especially in case I lose internet connectivity).

Anyone know how to do that kind of off-line implementation of Google tools?
 
FWIW, Evernote has a lot of the same functionality including extensions that add a button on browser toolbars to copy web pages, plus the database resides on your harddrive for offline access. Free, too.
 
Top