GTD and emotions

Dave John

Registered
GTD and emotions, just putting it out there .....
Compatible?
Can they help each other?
Is one a subsection of the other?
Or are they in different worlds?

Dave

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Often we we have our attention on something we have emotion about (we're worried, we care, we love, we're excited, etc.). So the Mind Sweep and emotions go hand in hand. In the Guided Mind Sweep webinars I do on GTD Connect (I'm doing one tomorrow at 9am if you want to hop in), I ask at the end of the Mind Sweep, "So, now what really has your attention? What have you been waking up in the middle of the night worried about?" Usually that's a very revealing process for people. Because often underneath the first round of Mind Sweep noise that comes out (buy shampoo, answer that email, setup that meeting, etc.), can be stuff like (I'm worried about my health, am I doing enough for my aging parents, do I have enough money to retire, etc.). The Mind Sweep gives you an opportunity to look at all of that objectively to see what can be done about it, if anything, which in turn can relieve emotional upset about it. That's where the sweet spot of GTD comes in, in my experience.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Often we we have our attention on something we have emotion about (we're worried, we care, we love, we're excited, etc.). So the Mind Sweep and emotions go hand in hand. In the Guided Mind Sweep webinars I do on GTD Connect (I'm doing one tomorrow at 9am if you want to hop in), I ask at the end of the Mind Sweep, "So, now what really has your attention? What have you been waking up in the middle of the night worried about?" Usually that's a very revealing process for people. Because often underneath the first round of Mind Sweep noise that comes out (buy shampoo, answer that email, setup that meeting, etc.), can be stuff like (I'm worried about my health, am I doing enough for my aging parents, do I have enough money to retire, etc.). The Mind Sweep gives you an opportunity to look at all of that objectively to see what can be done about it, if anything, which in turn can relieve emotional upset about it. That's where the sweet spot of GTD comes in, in my experience.
This is SO good, Kelly! Thanks for sharing! :)