GTD and Sudden Loss

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hi GTD Connect members,

We've posted a new article by Julie Ireland in Coaches' Connection. Entitled GTD and Sudden Loss, it's Julie's very personal, and yet very practical, account of how she dealt with the sudden passing of her mother. The subject is a tough one, but it's one many of us are facing. Julie's description of how GTD helped her is an inspiration. She mentions how she used the Natural Planning Model, and created a mind map. You can see the map here.

https://gettingthingsdone.com/connect/coachs_connection.php?id=149

Attached files

CJSullivan

Registered
I know first-hand how getting it all down on paper can be a huge relief. Of course it doesn't mitigate the loss or even touch the grief, but what I think it does do is clear the mind, which means we're more able to deal with the loss and the grief. My sympathies to Julie.

Barb

Registered
This was one.powerful.article!! I wrote privately to Julie with my personal thoughts, but this has opened up an entirely new line of thinking for me. I don't think the death of a loved one is something you are ever "ready" for, but I'd like to get a map or checklist thorough enough so I could do what had to be done without much thinking. Super, super helpful.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
This was an incredible article, not only an amazing piece, but from the heart. I was brought to tears. My heart goes out to you, Julie. Take care.

Oogiem

Registered
So sorry for the reason but your checklist is invaluable. I wish I'd had it when I had to deal with my mother's estate.

I'd add dealing with any animals is an issue as well. They may need care immediately and rules regarding transfer of livestock vary by state. For example in Colorado you cannot sell horses or cattle without a brand inspection. Sheep and goats require official USDA scrapie tags before they are sold nationwide. Your state or federal veterinarian can help with legal requirements of dealing with livestock as the rules are different than for pets.

JZajac

Registered
Thank you for this. It's an issue that I've been thinking about for some time because my mother is elderly and my dad passed several years ago. I appreciate that Julie was able to share what she learned so that the rest of us may find this difficult matter a bit easier to bear.

Najack

Registered
I'm so sorry for Julie's loss. Her accounting of it was so well said and I appreciate the time and thought that she put into it.

jireland

GTD Connect
I want to thank everyone so sincerely for your warm wishes, and am happy to hear that this was helpful.