GTD assumes no division between home and work related NAs?

Borisoff

Registered
TesTeq said:
Maybe on the checklist of checklists to check daily. In this case you would have to remember to check only one master checklist and this checklist would remind you what other checklists you should check.

Testeq, where in my system this check list should belong to (Calendar, Next Actions list or something else)?

Best regards,

Eugene.

kewms

Registered
Borisoff said:
Katherine, how do you remind yourself to check this checklist on a constant basis? :) Where do you put it - tickler, action list or calendar?

E.

I don't. I actually use Sciral Consistency for recurring tasks. But you asked for a non-software solution.

If I did use a paper checklist, I'd probably put it in my tickler until I developed the habit of checking it.

You might also use a logbook, similar to the exercise logs runners use. Then you could flip back and see when your last Spanish lesson was and what you studied.

Katherine

TesTeq

Registered
"Today bookmark" in my paper calendar.

Borisoff said:
Testeq, where in my system this check list should belong to (Calendar, Next Actions list or something else)?
I would make it in the form of the "today bookmark" in my paper calendar.

R

ritz

My 2 cents...

Eugene,

I think the other responses to this thread have covered most of what I would say about your personal vs work question, but here is a summary of my approach:

I don't arbitrarily separate personal vs work-related NAs when they share a common context. Whatever actions I can perform in a given context are the actions I choose from. Since I have minimal supervision at work, and my work-issued notebook computer and mobile phone double as personal devices, I can and have done work tasks at home and personal tasks at work. For me it's a matter of priorities at the moment. When my family is around at home and not absorbed by their own activities, then actions involving them usually take priority. Some NA priorities will dictate what context I am in (a server hardware failure requres me to be onsite, our anniversary means I'm wherever we decide to celebrate), and although I have a great deal of flexibility, I tend to be in work-focused contexts during traditional work hours.

I understand the need for many people to leave work at work and get away from it all on their personal time, but GTD (along with a fairly supportive work environment) helps me stay on top of things to a degree that I don't feel the need to make that distinction. As others have said, I think it depends how you define your contexts, and how you prioritize NAs when you are in those contexts.

D.

TesTeq

Registered
Real paper bookmark.

Borisoff said:
You mean all day event?
I mean real paper bookmark in paper calendar. If you are using computer or PDA calendar this solution is not applicable.

Max

Registered
TesTeq said:
I mean real paper bookmark in paper calendar. If you are using computer or PDA calendar this solution is not applicable.

Reminds me of the FranklinCovey Weekly Compass cards. It's a thin strip of paper that fits into a pocketed pagefinder. You list on it you important goals, projects, whatever on it for the week. It's not a comprehensive list just those thing that you really want to be sure you accomplish this week. Great way to keep the reminder in front of you.