GTD Guide for Outlook 2016

LeightonJ

Registered
Hi

I am a bit confused with one section of the guide - pages 32/33

If I setup as its noted, then it appears that ALL my sent emails will appear in my @waiting for support folder.

My understanding was that this was a folder for my support docs to the delegated tasks - so its doing the opposite - and I should cc myself? Then it should be sent to this folder?

Thanks

lj

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hello. When you use the Waiting For rule as described in the Outlook Setup Guide, only the emails you include a *WF code will be sent to your @Waiting For folder. So you are consciously choosing what is a Waiting For--definitely not everything in Sent.

LeightonJ

Registered
Hi

In the 2016 manual - there is no *WF code referenced ? I attach a pic of what its set up to do - and no reference to a code?

Thanks

Attached files

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Oh right, the later guides use the "BCC" option and not *WF. Either way, you're still making a conscious choice about what should be sent to the @Waiting For folder.

LeightonJ

Registered
Hi

Thanks. That works well for Outlook and I understand it - :)

I have delved deeper into my @waiting for folder and I can now see the issue clearer. But dont yet understand it :(

Appears that the emails I send via my mobile phone appear in that folder if:
* send email with BCC ( good)
* Send email with no CC and no BCC ( bad)

If I add a CC the the Sent emails appear in Inbox ( good)

I am not sure why - so will scratch my head! I am using the Outlook for iPhone app as my mobile client.

Thanks

Leighton

Steve Bourne

Registered
Hi

Oh right, the later guides use the "BCC" option and not *WF. Either way, you're still making a conscious choice about what should be sent to the @Waiting For folder.
just wondering how it is a conscious choice if this is implemented with a rule as the "Setup Guide" suggests. The rule is going to capture all emails BCC'ed to your primary Outlook email address and move them to @Waiting for Support as far as I can work out from the rule logic. (Albeit at this stage the rule doesn't work as intended in my 365 installation of Office. I have tried with two different [mail to] email addresses and so far get nothing delivered to the @Waiting for Support folder). Still testing the rules to see if I can figure out the issue.

I note the odd behaviour that Leighton above is experiencing. I will try sending from my S5 Android and compare notes. I use Nine from 9Folders as my Outlook client on the phone. MS's offering is not much more than an email viewer :)

Also maybe the word "cc" should be removed from line 4, 1st paragraph, page 32 (A4 version) of guide - based on rule set up in the following paragraphs.

cheers

Steve