GTD tips you've found most helpful

P

PamG

Freeware Alternative to Pop!

Someone mentioned DigitalGlyph's Pop!, which I had been using for a couple of years. Unfortunately, it does not like NetFront text fields on the TH55. I was also looking for a memopad template-maker, since MemoPlus is a dud on the TH55. Found relief in freebie TeikeiDA, which requires a DA Launcher (YAHM, free; McPhling; DALauncher5x, free). It's a bit of a bear initially, since it's Japanese based, but worth the learning curve. See
* http://www.cliesource.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41458
for download link and set-up tips. (Essentially, you set up your menu of frequently used text in memopad, which Teikei grabs for future use.)

I've got it rigged to yield any one of several GTD templates at the price of one tap, such as a Weekly Agenda (covering the major areas of my life), Project with Next Actions, BrainStorms, etc. All of which has proven invaluable in actually doing Daily & Weekly Reviews. Because all GTD-related items live in the memopad, I can see everything in context(, which drove me nuts when I previously tried a GTD implementation with the ToDo app). And, using the ONE system has FINALLY freed me from digging through countless paper files, esp re Weekly Review sessions.

TeikeiDA (+ ClipPro- multiple clipboards breaking PalmOS 1kb limit), has immeasurably helped me with the most valuable GTD tips:
- BrainDump >> write it all down
- date everything
- maintain project lists, with next actions
- review daily & weekly

PamG

J

Jason Womack

Black Belt Self-Management

...the most valuable GTD tips:
- BrainDump >> write it all down
- date everything
- maintain project lists, with next actions
- review daily & weekly

Recently delivered a 2 hour keynote on the "best practices" of self-management.

Like the above quote, we've found there are just a couple of "principles" to bear in mind as you manage your workflow:

- The world's most effective people manage agreements;

- A renegotiated agreement (in honesty and with integrity) is not a broken agreement; and

- The more completely you manage, handle and renegotiate agreements, the lower your stress.

The GTD methods offer a proven way to effectively manage through the workflow we face next Monday (or right now for that matter).

K

Krackeman

May be a bit simplistic, but ...

My A-Ha?

If you choose to follow a system called "Getting Things Done", there is a simple litmus test:

If you aren't, then you weren't.

As a technogeek, I often choose to tweak the system or redploy, or whatever. If I get to a weekly review and say "I didn't get much done this week.", it is a SURE indicator that I let something slip (Daily processing, up to date Project List, Review ... something). I also find the simple elegance of getting things done to be its strongest selling point. So again:

If you aren't (Getting Things Done), then you weren't (following the system)

BK

TesTeq

Registered
Renegotiation danger

Jason wrote:
- A renegotiated agreement (in honesty and with integrity) is not a broken agreement;
There is a real danger of procrastination in the agreement renegotiation. For example you can renegotiate all agreements and have free time for watching TV. I have heard the following saying here in Poland:
What you have to do today, schedule for the day after tomorrow - you will have two free days.
TesTeq

Chariot

Registered
Re: Renegotiation danger

TesTeq said:
Jason wrote:
- A renegotiated agreement (in honesty and with integrity) is not a broken agreement;
There is a real danger of procrastination in the agreement renegotiation. For example you can renegotiate all agreements and have free time for watching TV. I have heard the following saying here in Poland:
What you have to do today, schedule for the day after tomorrow - you will have two free days.
TesTeq

That danger is certainly true for me. I renegotiate my agreements all the time, so I can do something easier or not do anything in the meantime.

S

spectecGTD

After 2-1/2 weeks of GTD, what I find most helpful.

1) 2-Minute rule (pure productivity gold)
2) Empty mind = clear focus (not there yet, but making progress)
3) Empty inboxes (hard to state how good this makes me feel)
4) Clearly define each project and know what success looks/feels like BEFORE committing to any action.
5) Set up a tickler file and USE it properly.
6) Use calendar only for time and date specific items
7) Get rid of visual reminders (multiple HUH stacks) and replace with a written system I trust
8.) Share what I'm learning with someone else (great reinforcement tool and it might help them as well)
9) I'm already sleeping better (honest, this is a fact)

A

Anonymous

From one of David's newsletters (Jan 30 04), this one insight has been very important to me:

"When something is organized it means simply that it's where it needs to be. Where is that? In a place that reflects what the thing specifically means to you."

I thought this was an outstanding newsletter !!

A

Anonymous

most useful "tips"

1. write projects as successful outcomes.
2. simplified file system A to Z.
3. PDA and synch it daily
4. process "in" as fast as it comes in
5. weekly review

I seem able to do any given part only about 30%of the time so far.

Things that do not work for me at this time:
1.Tickler--if I need something I put in it, I don't know where to look without retracing my mental steps. So if I put a bill in it and then wonder if a certain charge cam through on the most recent statement I need to hunt through the folders.

2. Lmiting calendar entries to only essential appointments and deadines--this would work if I got to floating next actions earlier. It does not work because there are many, many small things in my life that if not done by a certain date cause huge problems or limit me, but can be flexed around up to a certain time limit.
3.Writing down a new next action immediatly on completing one. If done without referring to project notes or giving myself thinking time, I steer myself badly off course.
4.Doing much of anything without the block calendar visible and the day's hardscape before me.

S

spectecGTD

Jamie: I have some difficulties in many of the same areas you listed. However, for me the current struggles are minor compared to the state I was in prior to beginning to impement GTD.

As for item#2, have you considered putting some of those small things on your calendar as "all day" items (assuming you use Outlook). You can then move them around as necessary and when the drop dead date approaches you can drag them to a time-specific slot on that day if not ocmpleted.

A

Anonymous

For me he three most important things from GTD

Contexts
N/A
Weekly reviews.

The best tip from this site. Try and learn to type at 50+ words a minute. I'm slowly learning to touch type. I can now type without looking at the keyboard all be it slowly. Despite this the amount of time spent on emails has gone down due to the fact I review it as I type and not type and then review.

Hopefully though my speed will go up at the moment it's hard at 30wpm.

Rav.

Ray

Registered
GTD tips you've found most helpful

I am finding this topic both helpful and informative. A mindsweep of GTD issues which I have found important and robust are as follows:

Keeping things simple to use whilst being prepared to be open to new ideas and systems - building on what works for me and adding in new techniques and tips gradually .

To trust my own system.

To feel at ease looking at my context lists

To readily recall the 5 phases of GTD [/b] as : CO-PORA (collect,process,organise,review,action )

To be disciplied at applying the above

To be focussed and aware of choices as : PECT
(priority,energy,context,time)

Linking projects to next actions - I'm always seeking to crack the code on this one but never seem to succeed (PALM and PAPERuser)

The above reminds me that the discipline of regular weekly reviews is the best way to achieve this

......But any tips and examples of Linking projects to next actions in PALM or PAPER systems would be gratefully received

Ray

ScottL

Registered
......But any tips and examples of Linking projects to next actions in PALM or PAPER systems would be gratefully received

I think people use things like:

NA: project e.g.
build rocket: explore moon

I personally use lifebalance, a complicated piece of software which:

--enables me to view my life in outline form e.g.

Project 1
----NA 1
----NA 2
Project 2
----NA 1

OR

--view my NAs by context and
--for each list shows the NAs in rough priority (according to what I have told it).

I could not live without it. Datebook and I think shadow can do the first 2 (but not the prioritization).

Scott

A

Anonymous

Excel

Moises,

Just curious, do you still use Excel to manage your lists? My company has pulled the rug out from under me by choosing a new CRM that wont sync with Palm/Outlook. Excel might work because the CRM exports nicely.

Thanks,
Mark in Texas

moises

Registered
Mark in Texas,

I started GTD with Excel spreadsheets. I was real happy with the system at work. But before going home I would print out hard copies of my lists and waiting-fors, etc. I found the sheets of paper cumbersome to handle during my evenings and weekends at home.

So I made the plunge and bought my very first PDA.

I think you could make Excel do the job for you at work. I invariably have Excel open all day. I just made one workbook called GTD and then within that workbook I had separate sheets for my lists, someday-maybes, etc.

I was just starting GTD so I did not do the following. But if I were forced now to get by without a PDA I would start each NA with the date ("040722" for today) and then a description of the NA. Then I would use the next cell to the right of the NA to enter the project name if there is one.

Tspall

Registered
Also don't forget, if you're using Excel for this, that Excel has a sort feature and filters that can help organize the different lists you may have. They're very easy to use and can help Excel act like a simple database without the messy programming. A good tool to use within Excel. 8)

A

Anonymous

Excel

Thanks All,

I'm just wondering if "Docs to Go" will be able to work well enough for me to keep using the Palm. Not sure it will work with multiple sheets within a spreadsheet though.

Tinkering in Texas,

Mark

A

Anonymous

Excel

I tried that program - way too many bells and whistles. I found it confusing.

Thanks anyway though.