Guided GTD Weekly Review

Barb

Registered
An idea - anyone do this?

Mark,

Your question is a great one and I'm looking forward to reading responses. I've thought of a "project completion checklist", but haven't implemented it yet. Not only do I have a tendency to let project support files sit around too long, I also would like a prompt for me to do some self-analysis on the project...like a "lessons learned".

Anyone have a checklist they would share?

Mark Jantzen;68248 said:
Hi Kelly,

I really enjoyed the Weekly Review webinar. I find the practical implementation tips of GTD the most helpful.

I have a question about the “Review Projects” section of the Weekly Review. How do you handle completing a project beyond just the marking off or deleting the item from you list manager?

Completion can impact things like action support related emails and physical support materials as well as making decisions about which stuff is now trash versus what might be reference.

Any other tips or things to consider so my system remains clean and current?

Thanks,
Mark

PS - I found a helpful Outlook technique. Like your suggestion of right mouse dragging to create a Task from an email I use the same technique to drag an email from a Task back into In. It emulates the Net Centrics functionality (Return to In) which I’m not allowed to install.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
When is a project really complete?

Hi Mark,

You asked: How do you handle completing a project beyond just the marking off or deleting the item from your list manager?

Good question! It would depend on the project and your setup. Here are some things that are pretty consistent for me to do though, when a project is complete:
- I move the project email folder from being a subfolder under PROJECTS to under zARCHIVES (this is an actual folder for me, not the Archive feature in my email program.) I rarely ever clean out the email folder before moving it, but I'm lucky in that we don't have tight quota limits. When in doubt, I save it, although if anyone else would need to see it ever, I copy/paste the information to a Lotus Notes database. [Remember, we're the company that has more Notes databases than we do staff! We use them a ton for collaboration, reference and discussions--instead of clogging everyone's email accounts.]

- I move the project hard copy folder from current Projects/Pending area of my files to Reference. I typically do clean it up to cull lots of the project detail that is no longer needed, is captured in the final product, or electronically stored in a Lotus Notes database somewhere. Questions that can help:
"How hard would it be to get this information again if I need it?"
"Who else has it?"
"Who else needs to see this?"
"If I got hit by a lottery ticket tomorrow, could someone else find the information they need on this project?"

- I also ask myself, "Is there a new chapter with this project? Do I need to create a new outcome? For example, with the GTD Interactive course, that was a 14 month project for me to "Launch the course." Once it launched, that chapter of the project was complete and one new project became "Run the GTD Interactive Pilot program."

- Also, for some of our larger collaborative projects, we'll often have a debrief meeting about the project to talk about what we learned and how we can do better next time. For my GTD Interactive project, as I was learning things along the way about the project, working with our partners, staff resources, costs etc., I was capturing notes about that that in a Lotus Notes database so that wouldn't be lost by the time we got to that debrief. That was helpful. I find too, that sometimes the rosy glasses come on after a project is really complete, and people can forget that there were some itchy, scratchy things we could have done better with during the project, because now it's a complete and all is well.

- And the ultimate question really is, "Do I have my attention on anything around this project right now?" I want to make sure there are no open loops about lessons learned, new outcomes, things to change in v2.0, course correction and feedback to share, etc.

Hope this helps,
Kelly

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Thanks!

Thanks Kelly!

Another thing I found in early GTD days was many of my completed projects became 20,000 Foot Areas of Focus as I either got them to a zero-base or got them out of my head.

Thanks again,
Mark

pwhite

Registered
Procrastination webinar - random notes/mindmap

Kelly

Here are my quick, dirty and random notes from your webinar conversation with Meg. I'm sure others could improve on this mindmap but I thought I'd upload it quickly in case it of use to others.

The Procrastination.mm file is in Freemind format but I believe it should be possible to import into other mindmapping tools. I've also attached as pdf.

Phil

Barb

Registered
oops

pwhite;68587 said:
Kelly

Here are my quick, dirty and random notes from your webinar conversation with Meg. I'm sure others could improve on this mindmap but I thought I'd upload it quickly in case it of use to others.

The Procrastination.mm file is in Freemind format but I believe it should be possible to import into other mindmapping tools. I've also attached as pdf.

Phil

Nothing attached that I see. Try again...would be very nice to have. Kelly, might also be great if you could upload the slides.

pwhite

Registered
pwhite;68587 said:
Kelly

Phil

Seems I can't upload the files. The .mm file type is classed as invalid by the Connect forum and the pdf file was too large.

So here it is a .png graphic file.

Attached files

pwhite

Registered
PNG uploaded and converted to JPG

That didn't work either. It seems the Connect form software converted the .PNG file to a .JPG file so you can't zoom in and view it in detail.

pwhite

Registered
Procrastination webinar - random notes/mindmap - zipped Freemind mindmap

To view, unzip the attached file and open Procrastination.mm with Freemind or import into your mindmapping software.

Phil

PS. It seems you can't quote a previous post AND attach a file in the same forum message.

Attached files image_357.zip (5 KB) 

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Technical notes

Hi PWhite--thanks for uploading your mind map. I added "mm" as an allowable image to the Forums. Your zip file might be just fine though. Just to note, I do think your file will only work with Freemind. I tried opening it in MindManager and it had odd words and formatting.

I just sent the Webinar Archive link to our IT group to upload to the Archives. The webinar and slides I used will be in that link, which will show up in the Webinars box on the home page of Connect shortly.

Thanks!
Kelly

ihayward

Registered
I loved it! Can I download the Webinar?

Hi Kelly

I used the recorded webinar last week to do my review and it made a huge difference to my focus - really helped me avoid getting distracted.

I want to use this on an ongoing basis until I get into a routine, but I'm often on the road and without an internet connection. Is there any way to download the Webinar so I don't have to rely on being able to stream it?

I've downloaded the mindmap which is useful, but would like to use the whole package.

Ian

p.s. Keep up the great work - in these tough times I was questionning whether Connect was good value for money, but dont anymore!:D