Help! firefox not remembering login info!

lauraon

Registered
hi, i love connect, but i must be doing something wrong because when I click on my saved login info button in my browser it won't work. this has made it too many steps for me to login in to connect. i've spent quite a lot of time trying to change settings in my browser and looking here on the site for info, but i must be doing something wrong. i just see my membership wasting away! - laura

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Connect & Passwords

You're not doing anything wrong. From my experience the Connect website or the browsers I use don't play well together. Sometimes it remembers my password and sometimes it doesn't.

It doesn't seem to favor one browser over another. I've tried IE (multiple versions), Safari and Firefox.

Mark

lauraon

Registered
thanks, mark. i wonder if there are any ways to work around the problem, because i get logged out if there is inactivity which means i can't even keep it open all morning. if i get time i'll look for some kind of obscure plug-in. otherwise, i just find myself not using it. - laura

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
I've sent this support issue along to our IT group

It sounds like a bug, to me, and I've sent it along to the IT group to investigate. We'll post more info as soon as we have it.

So sorry you're experiencing this!

Please do always let us know when you experience anything buggy or twitchy with Connect. We don't often know until a member reports it. You can post to the Forum, reach us at connect@davidco.com, or call us at 805-646-8432.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Does this help? This is what IT gave me:

If you have the "Save" checkbox checked, it will not prompt you to login each time, provided that you did not LOG OUT. If you log out of GTD Connect, it will prompt you to enter your username and password again.

If you checked the Save checkbox and then exit the browser or shut down your system but did not log out of GTD Connect, when you go back to www.gtdconnect.com, it will take you straight into GTD Connect without prompting you to log in.

Attached files

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Sometimes.

I've also tried to log off and log in without that box checked and then log off and then log in with the box checked.

It works ... sometimes.

I have noticed the problem less often in the last several months but it's a hard thing to isolate.

- Mark

Jon Walthour

Registered
Mark Jantzen;66612 said:
I have noticed the problem less often in the last several months but it's a hard thing to isolate.

Unless I'm mistaken, checking that box sets a cookie in your browser, storing information to identify you to the website so that when you come back to the page you're already considered authenticated. This cookie doesn't expire when you close your browser unlike the one set if you don't check the box. Removing that cookie is done when you explicitly log out or when you clear your cookies manually or when it is set to expire. Also, if the information in the cookie doesn't match information stored on the website, the website will ask you to reauthenticate.

lauraon

Registered
thanks for the replies. i had already checked the box to save my login info. i played around with my cookies settings and a few other things, i'll try logging out and see what happens.

lauraon

Registered
mark, jon and kelly,
i think i figured out the difficulty. my preferences in firefox are set for my cookies to be cleared when i close firefox. however, for sites like this one, i add an exception to always keep the cookies. there must be a conflict somewhere because it was deleting them - even if i didn't close firefox, but only closed the tab. i thought it might have been a third party cookie problem, but i didn't need to turn those on. - thanks for the brainstorming session. i changed my setting to keep ask me about all cookies for a while till i figure out which part of the cookie setting is causing the problem. - laura

Lyzzie

Registered
Laura,

You do want to have the "Accept cookies from sites" and also the "Accept third-party cookies" checked. When Firefox properly saves the cookies for secure.davidco.com - it will show in the Show Cookies button near the third-party cookies. I also do have them to keep until "they expire."

The other way to do it is to Uncheck the "Accept cookies from sites" but in the Exceptions, type in "secure.davidco.com" and click Allow. This will let the GTD Connect website save your login information provided that you do not log out. If at any time you log out, it will prompt you to log in again.

Also, it will prompt you to log out if you clear your cookies, including the "secure.davidco.com" cookie.

Lyz Dinh
GTD Connect
connect@davidco.com