Help getting started and sticking with it

Tombo

Registered
Hello all,
I have read David’s book several times,listened to it even more, and watched countless hours of you tube videos. I can’t seem to get GTD going for myself. I will down load an clean off my desk do a mind dump and maybe get it going for a day then fall apart. I need a simple system, interface and integration. Just one for both life and work. It’s fun to get started but the discipline of sticking with it is where I struggle which may be indicative of more and deeper issues.
The one tenant I hold onto that keeps me coming back is mind like water. When it really starts to pile up and my feet are to the fire I tend to dump a list and start to clear or heck off things I order to get go the larger more important tasks.
I was wondering if those of you who out there that might have had a similar experience? Maybe had trouble getting going then figured out how to do it. Maybe there are more resources or maybe have samples of how to slowly develop the habits and skills. I feel like I have a lot of potential but I’m overwhelmed by life and the whirlwind?
Thanks in advance,
Tom

vaughan76

Registered
I wonder if it would be useful to check out the new book “GTD for teens”? It’s a streamlined version of GTD that hits all the important points but does so in a very accessible manner. It helps you build a system that works but isn’t quite as robust (and possibly intimidating) as the full system.

Also, if you’re looking to do this in bite sized chunks, I’d start with two things: a single physical in tray for your physical stuff and a single in tray (could be an app on your phone or could be paper) for your mental stuff. Just beginning to offload things as they come up (ie, write things down in a single place) would pay big dividends.

Kmet

Registered
A very important habit I had to build for getting GTD to work for me is reviewing my system EVERY DAY in the morning for 30 minutes. This keeps me up to date and my systems going.

Tombo

Registered
Cool it seems to me that daily review is important, i was real happy with myself today I was tossing things in my in basket and getting stuff done!

Tombo

Registered
I wonder if it would be useful to check out the new book “GTD for teens”? It’s a streamlined version of GTD that hits all the important points but does so in a very accessible manner. It helps you build a system that works but isn’t quite as robust (and possibly intimidating) as the full system.

Also, if you’re looking to do this in bite sized chunks, I’d start with two things: a single physical in tray for your physical stuff and a single in tray (could be an app on your phone or could be paper) for your mental stuff. Just beginning to offload things as they come up (ie, write things down in a single place) would pay big dividends.

Tombo

Registered
Great tip,I have checked gtd for teens from the library. I’mjust started it. I have working through putting together my system. I see the value check out my post “road blocks” I discuss a recent breakthrough I had. I am starting to see how amazing this system truly is.